Chapter Ten

Lauren woke up the next morning feeling completely energized from the kiss that she shared with Camila the previous night. She sprang out of bed, then checked the time on the analog clock that sat on the bedside table to see that it was eight o'clock on the dot. After making the bed, she walked with a skip in her step towards the kitchen downstairs to make a fresh pot of coffee. As she passed by Camila's room, Lauren saw that she was still asleep in bed, which gave her the opportunity to surprise her with a coffee in bed.

        When she arrived in the kitchen, Lauren gathered everything that she needed to make coffee, then prepared the pot to start brewing it. The coffee only took about three minutes to brew enough for one cup, so she poured it into one of the mugs that she had set out for her and Camila, then put some milk and two spoonfuls of sugar into it as well. While she waited for the remaining coffee to brew, she brought Camila's steaming cup of coffee up to her room, being careful not to spill it.

        Camila was still asleep when she walked in, so Lauren put the cup of coffee down on her bedside table. She gave Camila a little shake, which woke her up instantly. Then she carefully rolled over to face Lauren, being very careful not to roll over her arm. 

        "Lauren? Is that coffee I smell?" she asked with a tired smile.

        Lauren hummed, "Mhm."

        Camila sat up in bed, then Lauren passed the cup of coffee over to her. She thanked Lauren gratefully, then took a sip, smiling at this nice gesture. Lauren took a seat on the edge of the bed and admired her as she continued to take small sips of coffee, trying not to intake took much hot coffee at once. She loved the way that Camila crinkled her nose whenever she accidentally drank too much, and how she giggled whenever the steam from the coffee traveled up her nostrils. Camila was so beautiful, and it was driving Lauren crazy.

        Then Lauren remembered something, she kissed Camila. That was something that she had been longing to do since she first got to know her. Lauren's face immediately lit up in remembrance of last night's events, and felt her lips regain the same tingling sensation that they had after the kiss had taken place. These thoughts caused her to laugh, which drew a mystified look upon Camila's face. Camila ended up ignoring it, and went right back to sipping her coffee.

        It occurred to Lauren that she had also turned down Camila last night. She instantly began to regret even rejecting her, since that was her chance to feel true happiness. Yes, it would go against her morals, but in the end, Lauren didn't really care. She wanted to be with Camila, and her heart was deeply set on that.

        "Camila?" Lauren asked.

        She hummed as she took another sip of coffee, "Hmm?"

        "You know how you asked me that question last night? You know, the 'are we a thing now?' question?"

        Camila finished the remainder of her coffee, then placed the empty mug on the bedside table before finally answering, "Yes."

        "Why did you ask? Did you want us to be a thing?"

        "Honestly," she paused, "I don't know. The last thing I want to do is get in between you and the person you like. It's just, the way you talk about him or her makes me really think that you're in love. I've never truly been in love, since no one will have me, but I'm pretty sure that you do love this person. As for that code that you go by, it must be a pretty important code for you to hold back you feelings. Also, us being a thing could possibly ruin our friendship forever if it didn't work out. If you know what I mean. I can't afford to lose you, Lauren, you're way too important to me. Would it be okay to drop this subject for now and just be friends?"