Chapter Twenty-Two

It was a few weeks later and the five girls had finally arrived at the arena for 'The Voice' after dropping the twins off with Lauren's mom. Over the course of that time, the girls had grown accustomed to raising the twins together in their house after the move was successful. Camila's arm had finally healed, while Lauren's stomach ulcer had healed up most of the way. Physically and mentally, the girls were ready to take on the competition. Lauren now had a motive that was worth winning the contest for. She needed to get money for Camila's possible future optic nerve transplant. 

The five girls were all in line to audition in front of Christina Aguilera, Blake Shelton, Pharrell Williams, and Adam Levine, and their nerves were jumping around inside their bodies. This only worsened when they saw how amazing some people were, only to find out that they didn't make it. To see so many people's dreams get crushed right in front of your eyes is really heartbreaking. The worst part of it all is that it might happen to either one of the five of them.

Dinah was the first of them to go up. Of course she had auditioned with one of Beyonce's songs. Her voice powerfully went through the lyrics of 'If I Were a Boy' which, unsurprisingly caused all four judges to turn their chairs for her. Instead of ending the song early, the four judges let her make a grand finish with a high note at the end.

The four coaches fought over Dinah, saying that each of them saw her first. Each one mentioned their favorite thing about Dinah's voice. 

"I love the tone of your voice!" Blake shouted.

Christina added, "You've got an incredible range!"

"That high note at the end was crazy!" Pharrell yelled.

Adam exclaimed, "I loved you from the start!"

As the coaches continued to fight for her, all five girls laughed at how funny it was to watch them all trying to be her mentor. Finally, Dinah raised her hand to try and get their attention. She had made a decision on who she wanted to be with, and she wanted to let them know before the argument got too crazy.

"Hey!" she shouted, getting all of their attention. "I'd like to be coached by Adam!"

The other three coaches moaned in disappointment, while Adam cheered for having won her over. Dinah received all of the information needed to move on to the next round, then ran off of the stage like a kid getting out of school for the summer. Next up, it was Ally's turn.

She walked onto the stage, the lights dimmed, and she was finally able to begin her song. The words of 'Red' by Taylor Swift rolled off of her tongue and through the microphone and speakers. Pharrell immediately turned his chair at the sound of her voice, while the other three did the same when she had sung through the chorus. At the end of the performance, Ally made it clear to them that Pharrel had been her choice of coach since he wanted her first.

"You've got spunk, girl!" he shouted. "And not to mention that you're a cute one. People will love you just as much as I do!"

Ally laughed at the comments that he made, then went over to him to receive the information about the following round like Dinah had. She pranced around the stage when she had finished, then finally left with a bounce in every step she had taken. 

Normani was up next, where her song of choice was 'Burn' by Ellie Goulding. It was a last minute change of song for her. She was originally going to perform a Beyonce song, but she was afraid of being upstaged by Dinah. Even though their voices were entirely different in terms of sound, tone, and range, she still didn't want to bore them with two songs by the same artist.

Blake Shelton and Pharrell Williams both turned their chairs at the same time, while the other two followed through later. That's when another battle went down between both coaches. Normani was torn between the two of them, not knowing who to pick. She was afraid of hurting one's feelings by not choosing them, but she decided to go with Blake, since Pharrell already had Ally. Normani thought Blake deserved to coach at least one of them.