Chapter Six

• Dedicated to My Grandpa Ted

A/N: Hey guys! I apologize for not updating yesterday, as I spent the whole day at my grandfather's funeral. He passed away on February 18th, so I've decided to dedicate this chapter to him. I named the restaurant that Dylan takes Lauren to after him, in case you're wondering why I gave it the name it has. Although my grandpa likes to be called Ted, his real first name is Russell, which is the middle name that I gave to Dylan's character. I really hope you all enjoy this chapter! 

*****************************************

        Lauren finally returned home after a ride that seemed to last an eternity, and all she could think to do was cry. The first thing she did was throw herself onto her bed and let the tears flow freely from her eyes. She sobbed uncontrollably for what seemed like hours, until she couldn't anymore. Without wanting to do anything else, she just laid there staring at the ceiling, as her eyes burned due to lack of moisture. She hadn't completely understood her feelings, until she actually stopped to think. Lauren was completely in love with Camila.

        She took some more time to think about why she was trying to shield her feelings from herself, and she came to the conclusion that it was because Camila was her patient. It violated every code in the book to develop feelings for the person that was in your care when you were a nurse. At least, that is what Lauren was taught in school. As a result of this, she had tried to cover up her own feelings, which ended up only making things worse in the long run. She kept everything bottled up inside, which was never a good thing for anyone. Lauren knew that she had to rid these feelings, and fast, before she had to quit her job. She refused to let that happen, since Camila really did need her help.

        After putting some thought into how she was going to get over Camila, Lauren remembered the boy named Dylan from the puzzle competition sign-ups. When growing up, she had learned that the best way to get over someone was to date someone else. It usually worked out for her in the past, so maybe Dylan was the key. She checked the time to see that it was three o'clock, which was an hour after the sign-ups closed. Hopeful that he was done with everything, Lauren pulled his number out of her pocket and pulled out her phone. She dialed his number, while checking to see if it was put in correctly, then she touched the 'call' button. The phone only rang twice before he answered, which let Lauren know that he was probably very interested in her. 

        "Hello?" his sweet, melodic voice said through the speaker.

        "Is this Dylan? It's Lauren, the one you gave your number to today." she explained.

        "Oh, Lauren! I was expecting your call! Honestly, I didn't think someone as beautiful as you would actually even consider calling me." he laughed.

        Her heart fluttered at his compliment. Not quite in the way that Camila had done so for her, but it was still meaningful to her. Any compliment was taken to heart, whether it was from a close friend or a stranger just passing by on the street. 

        "Aw," she smiled. "I called because you seem like a really nice guy! It's in my best interest to get to know you."

        "How about we get to know each other over dinner? Would that be alright?" he asked. "It'll be my treat."

        "I'd love it!" Lauren exclaimed. "Where and when did you have in mind?"

        "How about tonight? I know it's a little short notice, but I'm free if you are. There's a new place in downtown Miami that I would love to try out." he proposed.

        With her own knowledge that she was indeed free, she responded, "You actually caught me on one of my free days! When should I expect you?"