Chapter Sixteen

Lauren and Camila both knocked on Brad and Vero's front door, and moments later, Vero opened the door and greeted the two with a wide smile. She motioned for the two to come in, and they followed. Vero closed the door behind them and led them to the dining room, where plates were set with chicken, corn, and potatoes. 

Camila smelled the scent of the food that filled the room, and she said excitedly, "I smell chicken!"

"You would smell the chicken." Lauren laughed. 

The four all took their seats at the table and immediately began to dig into the delicious food. Within only a few mere minutes, Camila had already finished her meal and was just sitting in silence from then on.

"So how did you two meet?" Brad asked Lauren.

Lauren placed her fork full of potatoes back on her plate and began, "Well. I was originally her caretaker. She's blind, so I was hired to help her around the house. Due to issues with her mother, I've been fired. But that doesn't stop me from being around her and taking care of her. As for our relationship... that happened to develop over the course of time that we had spent together so far."

"That's not a traditional love story, is it?" Vero joked.

"It's okay. I like things interesting, rather than cliche and boring." 

Brad then asked, "So whose house are you two living at now? Or are you living separately?"

"We're living together at Lauren's house." Camila joined in, very well knowing that Lauren probably didn't know how to answer the question. "How did you two meet?"

"We met in high school," Vero began, "when he was dating Lauren. When things didn't work out between the two of them, and we had graduated, Brad and I became close."

Lauren let out a loud, annoyed sigh at what she was hearing. This sigh was noticed by Vero, causing her to stop the explanation immediately. She shot Lauren a confused look, then mouthed something to her that she didn't understand.

"But Vero," Lauren started, being unable to take this anymore, "didn't you tell me to break things off with him back then?"

Brad now looked confused, Vero looked scared for her life, and Camila was smirking at the fact that Lauren had caught her best friend in a big lie.

"Wait, Vero. What did she just say?" Brad asked.

"Um, I... I may have had something to do with that. Does that upset you?" Vero tried to confirm with him.

He replied, "Uh, yes it does. Lauren was the love of my life, and you have no idea about the pain I went through."

"Oh, really? Then why did you abuse her all the time like you do with me?" Vero asked.

"Hold on!" Lauren screamed, getting to her feet. "Vero! You're dating the man that was abusing me back in high school, and you think that he's changed? You told me to dump him back then because of these reasons!"

"Lauren!" Vero screamed back at her. "I love him, that's why we're together!"

While all of the fighting was going down, Camila took her cell phone out of her pocket and began to record a video. She had hoped that she pressed the video button, since there was no way to tell that she was actually taking a video. As she held up her phone in secret, she reached over to get a second helping of chicken to eat along with her entertainment.

Brad yelled, "Vero! This is so stupid! Why would you do that?! I loved her!"

"Well, don't you love me?!" Vero yelled.