Chapter Two

The following day, Lauren walked up to Camila's door with a smile on her face, unlike yesterday, when she was shaky and nervous because of how Mr. Holland led the job on to be. She found that she actually enjoyed her job, working for Camila. Lauren thought Camila was different, and special at that. She was glad that she got a more challenging patient, instead of one than one that wouldn't even put up a fight. It was discovered that Camila was rather stunning, how she could perform daily tasks without needing any assistance. It was rather exciting for Lauren to find out what else she could do.

        As she waited for Camila to get to the door, she was shaking with excitement instead of fright. Finally, Camila managed to get to the door. When she opened the door, Camila appeared to be more stressed-looking than yesterday. She had dark bags under her eyes, unbrushed hair, and she was still in her pyjamas. Lauren began to worry at the sight of her, since she didn't look healthy at all.

        "Lauren? Please come in." Camila said, as she held the door wide open for Lauren to go into the house.

        Lauren entered the house, and she shut the door behind her. Camila led Lauren into the living room, where she had a one-thousand piece puzzle laid out on the coffee table. This confused Lauren, since blind people didn't tend to do puzzles since they couldn't actually see. Camila sat down on the couch, and pat down on the spot next to her to motion for Lauren to sit with her.

        "Please sit." she said. "I want you to do this puzzle with me."

        "Is that what you were doing all night, Camila? The puzzle?" Lauren asked.

        "Yes. I believe I've managed to get some of the edge pieces together."

        Lauren examined the puzzle to see that Camila actually managed to get some of the border pieces together.

        "Yes, you did. How did you do it?" she asked Camila.

        "A puzzle isn't only about seeing which piece seems to connect to another, it is also about actually fitting the pieces together. You know how when you are trying to put a puzzle together, you think two pieces will go together, but actually don't? Other people don't tend to notice that touch actually has the upper hand in putting together puzzles. My secret is to feel the edges of each piece, and telling whether or not it goes together with another piece. That's what I've been doing my whole life. As a child, I told my parents that I wanted to do a puzzle with them. They told me that I wouldn't be able to do it, even if it was only fifty pieces. I proved them wrong, though, because it only took me half an hour to complete it." she explained.

        "That's incredible, Camila. I feel like you could do this on your own." Lauren said proudly.

        "I probably could, but I stayed up all night doing this by myself. I'd love for you to help me complete it, so I could get some rest." she responded.

        "You haven't slept at all?" Lauren frowned.

        "I started to, but I woke up at midnight with the sudden urge to do a puzzle. Now I just want to finish it, but it will take way too long."

        "Well I'd love to help you out, Camila."

        "Thank you."

        Camila and Lauren spent hours doing the puzzle together, with Camila constantly asking if two pieces seemed to go together. They made some real progress in doing the puzzle, and it was already about halfway done. At about two o'clock, Camila had asked Lauren to make them something for lunch. She asked that Lauren made something quick and easy, so they could continue the puzzle together. Lauren decided to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and she returned to the living room to see that Camila had made some real progress in putting the puzzle together while she was away making lunch.