A new generation

" Axel! Axel wake up! Chasity said Harlow is in her final stages. She is going to be waking up soon." Nat said shaking me. I shot up. " I'm up! I'm up" I said looking around. " Come on," Nat said grabbing my hand and pulling me up. " I'm coming," I said while yawning.

Nat had drug me into the incubation room. I was still a bit tired. I walked over to the incubator. The baby-Harlow she... She was moving around. " It's almost time," Chasity said. I looked over at her. I looked back at Harlow. " Thank you," I said to Chasity. She smiled and nodded. " It has been a pleasure working with you," Chasity said. I smiled. " I can say the same," I said staring at Harlow. Nat came up and grabbed my hand. " How long do you think?" Nat asked Chasity. " Around an hour or so. Her vitals are... perfect." Chasity said. I smiled.

It had been an hour. Things were getting close. I sat in the corner of the room taping my foot waiting for Harlow to be born. I was thinking when I heard something. It was like a clicking noise. " What's that?" I asked standing up. Chasity looked at me then over to Harlow. She walked over to the incubator. " She's ready. Get a blanket" Chasity said. I ran over to the table and picked up a blanket. I looked at Nat. She was staring at me. I walked over to her. I handed her the blanket. " You get to hold her first," I said smiling at Nat. She smiled back. I watched as Nat walked over to the incubator. Chasity opened it up. I sat there and watched as Nat slowly turned around. She had Harlow in her arms. I smiled. I walked toward Nat. Harlow was quiet. I tilted my head. " I don't know much about Baby's but... They're supposed to cry right?" I asked Chasity. She furrowed her eyebrows and walked forward. She looked at Harlow. " It's pretty rare for babies to not cry. This is the first time I have successfully finished my work. It might just be her." Chasity said. I sighed. " Hi, Harlow," I said putting my finger on her nose. I decided to stay positive. " I have run all the tests for months. You can go to the cabin if you want. If you notice anything strange about her let me know." Chasity said. I nodded. I looked over at Nat. She was looking at Harlow. I smiled. " Ready to go?" I asked Nat. She nodded and smiled at me.

*Three days later*

" Yes. Yes. She's fine we just... we just have a feeling. Okay, see you then" Nat said. I was sitting beside the baby. She was in her crib. " Is she on her way?" I asked Nat. " Yeah," Nat said. She was pacing. " Worst case scenario-" " Don't," Nat said. I looked over at her. " What?" I asked. " Don't go there. Just-Just wait until Chasity gets here. Chasity will tell us if anything's wrong" Nat said as she continued pacing. " You should sit down," I said quietly. She sighed. " I'm just... I'm just worried" She said stopping and looking at me. " I am too. But I'm not walking my feet off am I?" I said looking at her. She sighed and sat down next to me. " How are you so calm?" She asked. I shrugged. " If there is something wrong with her... She'll be fine." I said playing with her nose. She smiled. " Of course she will," Nat said rubbing my back. I smiled. I heard a car pull up. " She's here," I said. Nat looked out the door. " I'll never get over that," She said. I laughed slightly. " I'll get the door," Nat said. I nodded.

" So she's... mute?" I asked looking at Harlow. " Its... Very rare. I honestly don't even know if babies can be born mute.B-But there's always speech therapy." She said. I sighed.I bit my lip. " What's the worst thing that can happen as she gets older?" I asked looking at the ground. Chasity sighed. " The worst thing I can think of is... getting bullied in school?" Chasity said shrugging her shoulders. I sighed. " This won't cause any health problems right?" Nat asked. " No. She should be perfectly fine." Chasity said nodding. I sucked in a deep breath. I put my hand on Nat's shoulder. She continued looking ahead."We'll call you when we need something," I said to Chasity. She nodded and picked up her bag then left. I put my hand on Nat's back. She continued looking down. I grabbed her and pulled her in for a hug. She wrapped her arms around my waist. She inhaled a shaky breath on my shoulder. I could feel her breathing. " She's going to be okay Nat," I said rubbing her back. " I know I just... I just want her to be... okay" She said. I sighed. I kissed her on the cheek. " She will be. And we will be there..." I said backing up and taking Nat's hands. " To watch her..." I said lifting Nat's hands. " Grow up..." I said spinning Nat. She smiled slightly. " And become..." I said stopping and turning her toward me. " Her own Woman," I said leaning in and kissing Nat. She smiled into the kiss. After the kiss, she inhaled a big breath. " You know that promise we made?" She said. I nodded. " Let's add something to it," She said. I nodded and kept listening. She raised her pinky. I brought mine up to hers and latched it. " We will always be there for Harlow. No matter if we're fighting, broken up, or worse. We will always be there. Together for her" Nat said looking at me sternly. I nodded slowly. " Couldn't have said it better myself" I said smiling. She smiled. And leaned in and kissed me. It was my turn to smile into the kiss.