The mission

I was walking into S.H.I.E.L.D when someone walked beside me. I looked over. " Hello there," I said. It was a blonde woman. She was wearing a suit like all the others. " You're Axel Schnider right?" She said looking forward. " Correct. How many I help you?" I asked looking forward. " Fury want's to talk to you," She said. I nodded my head. She walked away. I watched as she left the hallway through a door. I just continued heading toward Fury's office.

" Agent Schnider. I have a mission for you. Agent Romanoff will be joining you." Fury said as I stood in front of him. " Sorry I'm late," Natasha said entering the room. I glanced over at her. She looked up at me. " I was just telling Agent Schnider about the mission you two are going on." He said pulling some folders out of his desk. He handed Natasha and I both one. I opened it and flipped through as Fury continued talking. " You will be infiltrating a HYDRA base and downloading files. It should be a quick in and out. We have a jet ready for you. There should be clothes and things waiting for you." He said standing up. I cleared my throat and put my hands behind my back. " Something to say, Agent Schnider?" He asked. I shook my head. " Good." He said walking toward the door. He opened it and turned to Natasha and I. " Godspeed" He said as we left. I thought about that as we entered the jet. fury should know this is an in and out mission. What would make him say that?

" you okay?" Natasha asked. I looked up at her. " Fine. You okay?" I asked putting down my book. " I'm okay. Ready for this mission" She said looking toward the cockpit. It was a self-driving Jet. That's pretty cool. I looked back at her. She looked like she wanted to say something. " Penny for your thoughts?" I said leaning back in the seat. She sighed. " I hate the cold," She said. I nodded. " I was stuck in a block of ice for 70 years so I get it," I said nodding. She chuckled. She tucked her hair behind her ear and stared at me. " What?" I asked. She tilted her head. " You're pretty strong... Why don't you use your full strength when doing something?" She asked standing up. " What do you mean?" I asked as she walked toward me. She sat down next to me. " I noticed it when you were fighting the chitari... you could have broken those ships with your bare hands but instead you used your spear. Any reason?" She asked. I looked off to my right. I could feel her body heat with my heightened senses. I thought about it. I hate opening up to people but maybe Natasha could be different. I looked at her. " I used to get in trouble for doing things with my bare hands when I was little. I was either not girly enough or not man enough. I learned soon not to care what others think but I still have tendencies to worry not being... ' feminine' enough." I said. She furrowed her eyebrows. " So you didn't stop the chitari with your bare hands because you didn't want to look too masculine?" She asked. I didn't like the look on her face. " I don't know this new era. They could be way judgier than the 1900s." I said shifting in my spot. She laughed. I turned my head to her. " What?" I asked. She shook her head. She sucked in a deep breath. " We've got a long way till we get to the mountains. Care for a nap?" She asked in a weird tone. I shrugged. " Too bad. You look like a comfy pillow" She said. She moved around and put her head on my thighs. " I- W-What are you doing?" I asked flustered. " Shhhh. Naptime" She said getting comfy. " There's no getting out of this is there?" I asked. " no." She said closing her eyes. I sighed. Might as well get comfy. I leaned back and closed my eyes as well. My heart was racing so it took me a bit to fall asleep.

" We're here" A voice whispered. I shot up. I looked around. " Woah there. Didn't mean to startle you." Natasha said. I sighed and slowed my breathing. " Here," Nat said throwing a jacket and a bag at me. " Let's go," She said pressing a button on the side of the Jet's interior. The door opened and a draft blew in. I covered my eyes at the harsh wind and put on the jacket. I opened the bag. It was my weapons. I sighed and threw the bag over my shoulder.

" Here we are," Nat said as we approached a small hatch. I looked around. " This is pretty obvious. Are you sure this is the right place?" I said looking at her. She nodded her head. " The coordinates match," She said touching the hatch. I furrowed my eyebrows. " I'll go in first," I said ripping the hatch off. She looked at me surprised. " Stay out here until I say it's clear," I said pencil diving down. I landed with one knee on the ground and my right hand supporting me. I stood up. I listened. I couldn't hear anything. Wait. I could hear... music? That tune... I looked up at Natasha. " What is it?" She asked. I looked to the right. There was a button that said 'Close Hatch' in bright red lettering. " I'm sorry," I said then pressed the button. " What? Axel! Axel, what are you doing?" Natasha yelled before the hatch closed fully. I turned around and followed the sound of the music. " Hey! I yelled as I walked through the bunker. The rooms were empty. There was no one here. The music echoed through the halls as I got closer. I finally made it. The door was cracked open. I pulled out my knife and slowly opened the door. I observed my surroundings as I entered the room. The room was dark. There was a tiny bit of light coming from a lamp in the corner of the room. I could see the record player in the corner of the room. I pulled the needle off of the record. I could hear a faint beeping. I turned around. There was a chair in the middle of the room. I prepped my knife as I walked toward it. I spun the chair around and prepared to strike. There was no one there. I looked down. " Shit," I said. There was a bomb there. I looked toward the exit. They played music so I couldn't hear it but... How would they know we were coming. There were fifteen seconds left on the timer. " Shit!" I shouted as I got up and ran toward the exit. I pressed the 'open hatch button'. The hatch started opening slowly. " Come on. Come on!" I shouted hitting the wall. " Axel? Axel, what's going on?" Natasha asked. " Natasha! Natasha get as far away from here as you-" A loud bang sounded. I turned around. Flames burst through the halls. " Natasha go!" I shouted before heat ran up my back. I yelled as the hot flames hit my back. The sound of rubble falling was the last thing I heard before blacking out. 

" Mayday, we have an agent down. Mayday!" I could hear a faint voice saying. I opened my eyes slowly. There was a high-pitched ringing in my ears. I groaned. My head was on something soft. I didn't want to move. I tried to move my hand. A sharp pain shot through my body causing me to whimper. " Hey, hey," A voice said. I looked up. It was Natasha. She wrapped her arm around my waist. " I- I can't move," I said. "I know, I know. You're gonna be okay. I'm here." She said. She still sounded muffled. " Once they hear the call they will-" " They're not coming," I said interrupting her. " What? Of course, they're coming what do you mean?" She said. " The HYDRA base was empty. It was a trick-" I started coughing. My throat felt like I swallowed knives. I felt a hot liquid bubble in my throat. Nat turned me on my side. I hissed at the burns on my back but quickly spat up blood. I breathed heavily and wiped my mouth. I groaned as I tried to get up. " Hey, hey. There's no way you're going to be able to get up" She said. I ignored her and continued trying. " Dammit, Axel! Just listen to me" She said grabbing me and pulling me into her. I fell on top of her. I groaned. " See, not so bad," She said. I looked at her. I looked at whatever I landed on. It was soft. I looked down. My eyes went wide. " oh, my god" I said trying to sit up. " Oh calm down. They're comfy and you know it" She said pulling me back into her boob-pillow's. I groaned. " Oh, shut it. I know you like it" She mumbled. I was too tired to fight back. I passed out soon after that.

Natasha Pov

It had been 24 hours. Axel was still asleep. I could hear and feel her breathing. I had found us a nice cave to stay in. Axel was right. They weren't responding. I sighed. I looked down at Axel. I brushed her hair with my fingers. It was so soft. I studied her face. I was a lot closer than I had ever been before. She had a faint bit of freckles on the left side of her face right next to her ear. I can't let her go this way. I pulled out my radio. " This is Natasha Romanoff. Calling for air support. I've got one injured. I'm not doing so great myself. If anyone can hear me please respond, over" I said. This had to have been the 200th time I was doing this. I sighed after I didn't get a response. I put the radio down. I wrapped my arms around Axel's waist and pulled her in closer. She responded by wrapping her arms around my waist. She was so warm. A tear slipped out from my eye." I'm so sorry" I said with a shaky breath. "Approaching your location now." A voice said. I looked down. I picked up the radio. " Hello!?" I said. " Romonoff. Think I would let you die?" Fury said. I sighed. " Fury you son of a bitch" I said. " Woah, Woah. I don't think Captain Rogers like's that kind of talk" He said. I chuckled. " Fury... Axel, she's... She's hurt real bad" I said. " ETA 2 minutes." He responded. I sighed.

Axel Pov

" _-----__--" I could hear muffled voices but couldn't understand them. My eyes fluttered open. A bright white light blinded me. I squinted and groaned. My eyes adjusted slowly. " Axel?" I heard someone ask. I looked around. " Natasha?" I asked as I got a blur of red. The figure got closer. They were close enough for me to look at their face. " Hey," She said smiling. " What's going on?" I asked as I felt a wave of tiredness hit me. " You're going into surgery. We're okay. We made it out." She said. I could tell she had been crying. I grabbed her hand. It was freezing. I looked down at her hand. " How long?" I asked. She didn't respond. " How long Natasha?" I asked with a raspy voice. " 48 hours," She said. I closed my eyes. " You... sat in the cold alone for 48 hours?" I said opening my eyes again. " I wasn't alone," She said shaking her head. " I was asleep," I said. " But you were still there," She said. The bed I was on started to move. Natasha got further from me. The drowsiness took over and I fell asleep.