6

The first day of classes was going well. All of them were class expectations and what we would work at.

Potions was going to be a fun class, we have it with the Gryffindors, which is annoying, but my whole friend group is in that class. Plus, Snape LOVES us.

Kind of. I think he hates me, but he tolerates me because of my friends. I'm almost 100% sure him and my father didn't get along. He brought my dad up on two different occasions.

I parted ways with my friends after lunch and walked down to my essay writing class. I have a feeling this class will be boring, saying that the only person I know in it is Malfoy, and we have barely said a word to each other since our lovely conversation on the train.

The essay writing classroom is off to the side compared to the rest of the classrooms. It's close to the Slytherin common room, but it's far from everything else.

I walk in the room, and I'm immediately greeted by a seating chart on a chalk board. The teacher is a man, probably around the age of forty. I look closer at the seating chart and learn that I sit next to Malfoy.

I take my seat as everyone else files into the room. We were specifically instructed to leave our wands in our dorms for essay writing. They want us to be able to write without magic. Bullshit, if you ask me. Even the professor isn't using magic.

Something is off about this class, I can feel it.

The professor starts taking attendance, and Malfoy hasn't gotten here. Maybe he'll drop the class—it'd make my life easier.

A few minutes later the door opens, and said blond struts in and sits at a table in the back.

"Ah, a late student," the professor turns around. "What's your name?"

"Malfoy," Draco smirks. "Draco Malfoy."

The professor chuckles.

"What's so funny professor, think my name is funny?"

"Sorry," the professor collects himself. "Pure-bloods are funny to me. I didn't mean to laugh, but your kind needs to realize not everyone loves you."

Majority of this class is pure-blooded. He must be joking? I look around my class, and it seems everyone is thinking the same as me.

Something about this man is definitely off.

"Your seat is next to Miss Williams," the professor says before continuing. "I am professor Davies. We will be writing multiple different topic essays in this class. The person sitting next to you will be the peer reviewer of all your essays, and you will be partners for the duration of the class."

He can't be serious. Malfoy already doesn't like me and now he's going to be reading all my essays. I just know he's going to critique every little thing.

"For your first assignment, you will be writing a short essay about you. I want to be able to know you better."

It's literally the first day why is he already assigning work.

When class is dismissed I walk straight to the defense against the dark arts classroom. Malfoy is on the other side of the hallway, and I know we're both too stubborn to start a conversation. The walk is silent and long.

Merlin, why is essay writing in such an obscure place in the castle.

We walk in right before the bell rings and the professor turned to smile at us.

"Hello, welcome to defense against the dark arts," the professor looked familiar. "You two will be partners for the year since everyone else is already situated. You can sit at the table to your right."

Perfect. Partners with Malfoy for 3 hours straight every single day.

The professor is Remus Lupin. I met him this summer, he was another one of my father's best friends. He was part of the friend group, him, my dad, James Potter, Sirius, and Peter.

Peter died and no one seemed to feel sorrow for it, so I'm assuming he was a background friend. 

My dad gave me a map of the school before I left, he called it the Marauders Map. The only issue, the map in question is a blank piece of parchment.

By the end of the class, I'd decided to ask Lupin about the blank map. He was part of the group, so he definitely knew what it was.

"Class dismissed," the professor announced as the bell rang.

Everyone started to filter out as I walked towards his desk.

"Excuse me, professor," I fiddled with the parchment.

"Hello Cassandra, how can I help you?" He asked, giving me his full attention.

My father told me to keep the map on the DL, he said if certain professors found out about it they would take it away. I took a deep breath and prayed that professor Lupin wouldn't be one of those professors.

I was supposed to call him Uncle Remus, so I doubted he would, but I still had my fingers crossed.

"Well I remember my dad telling me that you were part of the Marauders, and he gave me this map of the school before I came. The only thing is, it's blank and I was wondering if you knew how it worked and what it did. If you don't can we pretend this never happened and don't tell anyone and don't take it away," I took a breath after finishing.

Remus sat with a smile as he processed the spew of words that had come out of my mouth.

"Wow, you ramble just like Gianna when you're nervous," he chuckled. "The map is something that my friends and I made when we were in school here. To activate it, put your wand on it and say 'I solemnly swear that I am up to no good'" he demonstrated, and a map of the school appeared with labeled footprints. "This map shows where any witch or wizard is within the school. To put it away, put your wand on it and say 'mischief managed'. You need to be careful with this, Cassie, if a professor catches you with it, they will take it away."

I process all the information for a second.

"Thank you," I say with a smile as I walk out of the classroom.