27: ataraxis

ataraxis: (n.) the absence of mental stress or anxiety

——-

The start of my Christmas break was spent with the five people I spend every other second of the day with. How could I even function without them? Over the past year and a half, my life had completely changed for the better.

A year and some months ago, I went to school in America, had absolutely no friends, and  quite frankly hated my life. Now, I'm going to a school in England, I have the best friends ever, I love my life, and I'm constantly smiling.

And I'm picking up on their slang. I literally said bloody in a sentence yesterday. Talk about embarrassing.

The scene we were currently playing part in looked straight out of a movie. Carter and Theo were laying on their stomachs on my bed, Blaise occupying in my window seat, Daphne and I were laying on the floor, and Draco sat on my desk chair.

"Anyone fancy a trip to muggle London?" Carter questioned from my bed.

"My parents have been so protective since Davies got arrested, the chances of us convincing them to let us go are slim." I pointed out from my spot on the floor.

Davies got sent to Azkaban right before we left for Christmas break. The headmaster told parents to be cautious because he was seen near the Slytherin common room more than anywhere else. Of course my parents are all shaken up over this, Coltyn and I are both in Slytherin.

"We can sneak out though," I suggested.

"I like your thinking," Blaise smiled as he got up.

The six of us planned our trip out, and at 3 am we tiptoed out of the west wing of the manor. Since Zayn and Gabe's nursery is in the east wing, that's where my parents sleep as well. Therefore, parents will not be much of an issue in this little adventure. Despite my parents being all the way across the property from us, adrenaline was extremely evident throughout my body. There was a smile stuck on my face, and my mind was moving at an excitingly quick pace.

Once outside, we walked to the small strip mall, and finally, we walked through the building that led to the muggle world.

The city had streetlights and a few stray cars every here and there, but because it was three in the morning, it was pretty quiet.

The cold December air tinted our faces pink, and I thanked Merlin for the permanent warming charm embedded into my jacket.

"So," Daphne spoke as we made our way down the sidewalk "what do we want to do?"

"Don't ask me," Draco responded with a chuckle "I've never been in the muggle world. It's extremely quiet."

"That's because it's three in the morning, dumbass," I retorted with a roll of my eyes.

"Oh!" Theo exclaimed with a bright face "this place is open; we should go here!" He motioned to a little diner across the street.

The diner had a warm and cozy ambiance, and the six of us were instantly at ease. from the atmosphere we just entered. After standing in the door way for a second, we took a seat at one of the red booths along the back wall.

A waitress, probably in her late twenties, came up to us, menus and a notepad in hand.

"Hello, welcome to Electric Diner," she welcomed us with a smile, although it was quite obvious she was exhausted "my name is Catherine and I'll be your server today. What can I get you all?"