2 Corinthians 5:7

"For we walk by faith, not by sight."

Let's do some thinking on this one. You have five senses. Five very limited senses. You have one heart which is deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9) and a mind that can be the very tool for your demise. Believe it or not, on your own, you're a pebble in the wide ocean. Thrown in only to be forgotten.

But it's different with God. God knows everything, is everywhere and can do all things. All of that potential is on your side.

Walking by sight is trusting in yourself. Leaning on your own understanding which the Bible explicitly tells us not to do. It's deciding that no one else can run your world better than you. It's dwelling and acting on temporary things - what you see and what you feel. It's an unconscious dependency on luck and chance.

Walking by faith is trusting in God. It's letting go of your limited understanding and trusting the One who knows all things. It's deciding that no one can run your world better than the One who gave you the life and the One who died so you could have a better life. It's fixing your eyes on the unseen - the eternal - and acting based on the urgings of God and His will for your life.

Walking by faith is also living life with the consciousness of eternity. It's to have the fear of God and not the fear of man. It's to obey the Word of God no matter how conflicting it is with man's commands and standards. It's to choose righteousness and repentance over sin no matter the cost.

But it's not easy. Walking by faith requires you to fully surrender. Isaac had to let go of the idea that leaving Gerar to Egypt and followed God's plan for him to stay instead (Genesis 26). And look how he flourished. Abraham had to leave all that he had and set on a course to a place he didn't even know. And now we know him as the Father of Many Nations.

God's ways are not ours (Isaiah 55:8-9) and sometimes things seem bizarre but keeping in mind that there's a bigger picture that you can't see will help you.

Here are some tips to Walking by Faith:

1. Acknowledge how little you know: When I roll through libraries seeing hundreds of books that I've not read, I'm humbled in a way because I understand that even though I know what I know, I can know so much more. This doesn't make me stupid because I don't know, it just means that I can be so much more.

2. Think about how much God knows: The World and the Universe are pretty big. A lot of the times when I think about what God does and knows, I'm in awe because really... How? And after all those heaps of endless knowledge, He still knows your name? He still loves and values you as an individual? When you begin to think in depth of just how great God is, you'll begin to see why putting your life in His hands is an amazing idea.

3. Testimonies: They're so many people - living or dead - that can testify to the greatness of God. Sometimes you just want proof that something works because you don't want to be heartbroken if it doesn't or waste your time, and rightfully so. The Bible has so many of these stories where God's power is showcased and we see His impact on the lives of people. Even today, they're so many sick people becoming healed, deaf people beginning to hear, lame people beginning to walk, blind people beginning to see. All because of the power of God and His love for us. Seeing someone else go through what you're going through and getting out of it gives us motivation that we can always make it out too. It's not hopeless for you.

4. Read the Word: It's a no brainer that for you to be able to walk according to something, you must know what it is. I have this little book (I love tiny books) that I write Bible Verses in that I feel are instructions. I just started using it but I know it's going to help me so much in the long run. Regularly seeing verses like 'love your neighbour' or 'don't sin by letting anger control you' will align your mind to living the kind of life God wants. The faith kind of life.

5. Do the Word: Don't just be hearers or readers (James 1:22) but also be doers of the Word. This is when you actually start doing what it says and thereby living the kind of life that He wants us to live. Once you have it within you, it's time to start making it show.

6. Give thanks: Ordinarily it's strange to thank God for what you don't yet see or don't have but remember, we live by faith which is the 'evidence of things not seen' (Hebrews 11:1) so even though your eyes may not see it, be grateful regardless because life is spiritual (John 15:4).

We all have the ability to live a life of faith and by God's grace, we all will.

Prayer:

Dear Heavenly Father, I thank you for the wonderful kind of life that You have given me. You have taken away my sin-life and have given me eternal life and for that, I give you all the praise and all the adoration. Lord, help me to not lean on my understanding but to wholly put my trust in You. Lord, help me to see how little I know and see how much You do. Lord, bring people into my life to inspire me to live the kind of life that you want me to live. Lord, as I read the Word, I pray that I will also act it out and daily surrender my life to you as a vessel. Thank you Lord for the things that I don't see that you have done, You are doing and that You're going to do in my life. In Jesus Name, Amen.