Thinking

(Georgie's P.O.V.)
I walked through the streets of Small Heath. The people on the streets greeted me with a 'goodmorning Ms Shelby' and giving me a polite nod or tip of their peaked cap. I just simply nodded at them nothing more. I had more stuff on my mind than to just great people back. I walked into the house I grew up in on watery lane. As soon as the door fell close behind me, I watched Finn try and throw a cigarette into the fireplace. I chuckled when I noticed he missed. "I saw that, Finn" I said and walked up to him. I bent down to grab the cigarette and threw it into the fire. Before standing back up. "Arthur is mad as hell" he warned me, "when is he not" I said with a laugh and looked down at him. I ruffled his hair before walking to the back. In the back was a door, that looked like those two-barn doors, that you could go through to get to the bettingshop. I walked inside and saw alot of betters betting one horse while John took the bets. He spotted me and quickly made his way to me. "Georgie! Look" he said and opened the bettingbook. "All on Monaghan Boy" he said as he pointed at the name of Tommy's horse. "Georgie!" I looked up at the mention of my name and saw Arthur. He nodded for me to meet him in his office. I sighed cause Finn was right, Arthur was indeed mad as hell. But it really is something when he calls me aswell. Normally I try and keep away from ordering the boys around to much but sometimes I need to come and tell them that some stuff they do is not acceptable. And to be honest with you, I useually take care of the mess they cause. So my Gyspy gut was telling me this was one of those situations where I need to remind the boys their place. I walked into Arthur's office and saw Tommy leaning against the wall. "Go on, Arthur. I dont have all day" I told him breaking the silence. "He was seen doing the powder trick down at Garrison Courts" Arthur said looking over at Tommy. I scoffed and shook my head. Of course Tommy did the fucking powder trick. "Times are hard. People need a reason to lay a bet" Tommy replied, "then train a fucking horse, Tom" I told him like it was obvious, "there was a Chinese, aswell" Arthur said giving more information. I looked over at Tommy, telling him to speak. "The washer women say she's a witch. It helps them believe" Tommy stated simply, "look at the book". I shook my head and walked to him "I have seen the book. And yes, you drummed up a lot of new money. But you are fixing races. Let me ask you real quick, do you have persmission of Billy Kimber to fix his races?" I asked him as I stepped into his personal bubble. We are about the same height so I had direct eye contact with him. "We cannot take on Billy Kimber and rhe Chinese. God, do you even think about that, huh?" I growl at him. "I think, Georgie", "oh here we go again" I exclaim as I roll my eyes. "I think. So you dont have too" he says with a lowered eyebrow. "Just remember who the hell taught you how to think" I tell him with a glare. I turned away and grabbed my jacket. "Where are you going?" Arthur called out after me, "to think" I yelled back annoyed. "I'm calling a family council at 8:00 o'clock tonight-" I cut of Arthur and yelled "yes! I'll be there" and closed the door behind me.

It was 8:00 o'clock precisely when I walked into the room. I pulled my jacket off and sat down. "Right, I called this family meeting because I've got some very important news" Arthur began. He explained that Scudboat and Love Lock where in Belfast to buy a stallion for their mares. And that they met a copper in a pub handing out pamphlets that read. "If you're iver five feet and can fight come to Birmingham". They where recruiting Protestant Irishmen to come over as Specials to clean up the city from the IRA. I already knew this cause Tommy had told me after I caught him asking coppers on our payroll. "Why didnt any of you tell me?" Arthur asked pissed, "cause you didnt ask" I replied simple. Eventually Arthur asked what Aunt Poll thought and she asked if Thomas had anything else to say in this meeting. "Nothing that's women's business" he replied. "Men also said that about the war" I stated, "but these say otherwise" I said showing my dog taggs from the war. "So dont dare say something like 'its not womens business' cause Im just as manly as any of you" I growl and he adverts his eyes.

Published: 7th of May