Standing

(Georgie's P.O.V.)
My brother guided me towards the stables and I chuckled. "You've always prefered to come to the race through the backway, haven't you?". "Keeps us out of trouble" he replied with a sly smirk, "us meaning you, dear brother" I said following him. "Now you'll do the talking. Tell them that you are Lady Sarah Duggan of Connemara. You got lost when you went to look for the boy riding your horse-" He began to tell me what to do, "Tom" I said cutting him off, "you don't need to tell me what to do. I know how to play this game too" I told him before walking towards a staff member to ask for directions. I turned to my brother and told him in Romani to follow me. The staffmember raised an eyebrow in confusion. "He doesn't speak a single word of English" I told the man and he nodded. Eventually me and Tommy stood on a balcony looking down at the dancing crowd while the music played lively. "I still prefer the Garrison" he said after taking a hit from his cigarette. I laughed slightly "you and me both". "Come on, let's dance" he then told me and extended a hand. I gave him a 'are you serious' look. "I don't dance" I simply told him before turning back to look at the dancefloor. "Come on, Georgie. You used to love dancing" he joked, "emphasis on the word used" I told him but followed anyway.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
I could clearly tell that Georgie was not enjoying this one bit, but she was putting up a good performance. Making everyone believe that she was enjoying the dance. I turned her around, making her almost loose balance and earning myself a curseword in Romani and a death glare from her. "Either you're a terrible dancer. Or we are making a getaway" she told me, "neither" I replied simply, "please tell me this doesn't involve razorblades" she told me with a sigh, "I've decided to move up in the world" I told her while pulli g her away from the dance floor, "become a legitimate businessman". "Of course you are" she sighed underneath her breath. We stopped by a door and eventually Arthur came through it with some vags of money. "We chased the Lees across the track and down to Devon road. We got every penny back" Arthur explained. His eyes turned to look at our sister with a smirk that a brother would wear when they where about to tease their sister "Nice dress-", "don't even start" she snapped annoyed telling him off with her finger. Arthur chuckled and raised his hands up in surrendour. "Anyone hurt?" I asked changing the topic, "just a few scratches" he said before motioning to his face. "And the other one?" Georgie questioned. Arthur stayed silent and took a quick glance to me. I turned to face Georgie and saw that she did not enjoy the way we handled this. But she held her tongue none the less, yet I have no doubt she will let this slide easily once we are home. After all she does not condone bloodshed, not even if it is needed on her accord. "Someone will eventually have to pay for the blood that was shed" she would often say. If you need to know one thing about Georgie, is that she believes that everything you do, will eventually return to you. It will either come back 10 times worse or 10 times better. She realizes that nothing happens by chance or by fate. She knows that one creates their own fate by their own actions. And what you give is what you get in return. I turned around and invited Georgie to follow me. Always invite, never tell or demand her to do something. I moyion for Georgie to stand by the bar while I go toward Billy Kimber who was seated at the most luxurious table in the room. My sister also noticed him. "Your money, Mr Kimber. Rescued from the Lee brothers and returned to you with a request of a fair hearing" I tell him and sit down. "Your own protection is failing. Your boys, are taking cuts. I want to suggest that from now on, you contract out your race track security to the Peaky Blinders" I tell him and grab a cigarette and light it up, "we will be serving you alot of money. In return, you'll give us 5% of the take and 3 legal betting pitches at every race meeting north of the river Severn. Rising to 6 after one year if we are all satisfied with the service". I watch him closely, his eyes glance over my shoulder and I had a feeling at who he was looking. "I say you talk business with my accountant. I want a dance" he said standing up and watch him walk towards my sister. Now I wished my sister would put her independent character aside and play along to his game.

(Georgie's P.O.V.)
I watch my brother and Mr Kimber but the racetrack owner soon stands up. With a confident step in his walk, he makes his way to me. I silently curse underneath my breath. "You're man said it was alright for me to have this dance" he told me. I force a friendly smile and take his hand. It took every fibre in my body not to kick the guy between his legs, or to throw up as I felt his hand go down my back towards my hip. I was glad when the song finished and he walked away to join Tommy again. They talked and eventually Tommy walked towards me. "So, listen we are invited to have dinner at Mr Kimber's house. He has a place a couple of miles away" he starts. I had a feeling that there was going to be a but, to this conversation. "But, I have some business to settle first with his accountant. So, you go on ahead". Had a feeling that the 'but' in questions was going to be this one. I chuckle "that business you speak off. Is also my business. Remember, dear brother, you stand under me-" I began but he interupts me like a fool "Georgie. Its just dinner". I scoff not believing a word he tells me and step forward, stopping him from talking further. "I will go. But, on my own accord, not yours or his. My own" I told him sharply and with burning eyes, "and know this, Tommy. If he decides to try something. I will kill him with his own gun. After that, I'll come for you. So I suggest you use all of your bullets and hope to god that once your gun is empty, that I will no longer be standing" I threatened, "because if I am... you'll be dead before you even get the chance to reload". He quickly answers back in Romani that he understands my threat clearly.

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
A shiver had ran down my spine as she made her threat towards me. As I watched her walk away with Mr Kimber, I questioned if I was making a mistake or if Kimber was going to be the one making a mistake with underestimating Georgie. Like so many men before us have done.

Published: 25th of January 2023

Update request:
nozone45