Chapter 2

Warning: This chapter may contain mention of abuse. Do not worry I would never write anything graphic, I can't bring myself to do that. My thoughts, prayers, and love to all the beautiful souls out there who have been through or are going through a similar situation. 🙏

 🙏

It's been just a week since the arrival of Parul and Chandrakanth was already looking forward to her departure. Padmini was having her hands full, with chores at the home front and the engagement preparations. Chandrakanth did his part, driving her paranoid by updating his guest list now and then and finding faults with everything that she was doing.

The living room was filled with extended family members who had arrived a day before the engagement, for the Kuldevi Pooja (*special prayers offered to the presiding deity of the family)

"Padmini" the curt tone indicated the brewing storm, she excused herself and followed him to their bedroom. She wondered if the kuldevi pooja was enough to save her from whatever was coming while climbing the stairs. Her insides flip-flopped and her palms turned clammy.

'Please not now, not amidst all the guests' she sent out fervent prayers once again.

He was at his mini-bar with his scotch glass, "Ah! Mrs Malhotra, please do join me for a drink".

The sweet smile, soft inviting tone, relaxed body language could seem nothing but a warm gesture to others, but Padmini knew better. The way his jaw ticked unnoticed and the glint of anger darkening his obsidian eyes, were evident only to trained eyes like Padmini or Das, his 'Man Friday.'

He held her arm and sat her in his favourite leather lounge chair and stood towering over her. Padmini knew that he would wait on, like the big cat on a hunt; she was his favourite and only prey. It didn't matter what she did or said, his reaction would turn out to be the same, punishing.

The scotch was refilled, his stance eased as he leaned on the mini-bar on her left, almost caging her in. It was clear, he was determined not to make a move but, Padmini can't afford to stay here forever. The house was filled with nearly two dozen guests, there were still things to be done for the engagement tomorrow.

She gulped the rock that obstructed her throat and gathered herself,

"you wanted to speak to me..."

She can't address him by name now, not when he is in one of his foul moods. He would taunt her for being disrespectful and taking advantage of him just because he let her call him by his first name. The anticipation was killing her more than the fear.

"Since when did you begin to think and act on your own? And upon whose behest Mrs Malhotra?" placing the glass back on the bar counter, he shifted and leaned over her trembling frame.