Chapter 7

Aparna's wedding

Aparna's wedding

The lawn area was bustling with people dressed in designer wears, diamonds and exotic perfumes.

The evening air wafted warm with celebratory music, mixed with chimes of bangles, the rustling of Lehengas and Sarees, waves of laughter of middle-aged people and senior citizens; shy secretive giggles of teenagers, peals of laughter of little ones.

Gossips ranged from talks of vogue, holidays, stock market, business deals, joint ventures and marriages of convenience...

It was a destination wedding at Agra. Parul had zeroed in on this resort and had Paarth book this for the wedding almost a year ahead, since it was the union of two high profile families. The daughter of the Jagannath Group of Companies and the son of the celebrity Chef Mihir Khurana, who had a stint at the White House for one of the former Presidents and many other high profile people through his career.

The resort was at such a vantage point that the Taj Mahal was visible from anywhere in the resort. Parul and her husband Akash had arrived at the resort four days before to oversee the arrangements. And they had not failed. Everybody was impressed
Aparna was in tears of sheer joy, every decor detail was to the point, as per her dream. Parul had strived hard to keep it more eco friendly since that was what the young couple wanted.

Emma and Surya's daughters were so excited about all the traditions and celebrations.

"Parul aunty we had decided we will marry twin brothers or at least brothers, now we think we would love to have an Indian wedding. It's just so beautiful. Everything you do has some significance to it, like a really special connection with God or soul, you know" earnestly Maya explained in a clear American accent.

"Oh yeah? Wait until you see our people eat! Soul connection out and gluttons in. And I mean it. When it comes to food and drinks at weddings, we put the Vikings to shame".

Parul spoke with a very solemn face, the teenage girls look bewildered.

"Bua you are so naughty! Why are you scaring  them?"

Sneha turned to them to reassure them that not all men are gluttons, while she was helping them to get ready.

"Ok now, Maya and Mira the best way to get noticed by guys in a wedding, hang around the bride, like bridesmaids. And if she is here getting ready you girls walk up and down pretending to be busy but don't be actually busy. I could help with that part. If I happen to spot some good looking boys, I'll ask you, girls, to run errands. Oh wait..." she slapped her forehead dramatically, everyone looked confused.

"These tips are for Indian girls, you don't have to move from your seats. Indian parents are suckers for fair-skinned, slim and NRI girls, so by the end of this wedding, your Dad will have a stack of horoscopes in his hand, rest assured".