Chapter 26

Date Published: 27 Jan, 2022

*text in italics Kayla's POV

'I'm anxious, scared and mildly irritated. How do I apologise to these labourers? Will they accept it? What if they hurt me? I hate Padmini for making me bow before these people. She's going to pay for this. I shall exact my revenge once their divorce is complete. We are seated under the makeshift marquee where the sit-in protest had been happening. I could sense the hatred directed towards me and the respect directed to my left.'

∆∆

The last time Kayla was in the factory, she had been victorious in setting fire to the unity and peace among the employer and his workforce. It was the second step towards her goal, a major one in that direction. She had been spilling harsh comments at the Plant Operations Director, Xavier criticising his work, to instigate him.

At the end of the day, when all else failed to trigger the reaction she expected, she faked a misstep while examining some machinery and slipped. Xavier quickly caught her arm to prevent the fall and the sleeve of her blouse ripped. She created a ruckus using that opportunity to claim he behaved inappropriately. Das, due to his sworn allegiance to Chandrakanth stood by Kayla. When the crowd gathered around in support of Xavier, Kayla slapped Xavier to provocate things. When Das supported her, the enraged staff beat him up and he had landed up in ICU.

"I'm not here to support you or protect you. Just making sure you genuinely apologise and do not make fake claims like the other day. Go ahead and say sorry now".

Padmini's voice was stern, as she verbally nudged Kayla to step up and apologise.

"Everybody's patience is running thin Ms Kayla."

Kayla grit her teeth trying hard to ignore the taunts from Padmini and Paarth who sat on either side of her. There were a few bodyguards who stood right behind them.

Kayla stood up from the chair reluctantly, "I'm sorry! It was a misunderstanding." Turning to the man seated beside Paarth,
"I'm sorry Mr Xavier. I apologise to all of you", glancing around the three hundred-odd workforces assembled around. Kayla's voice sounded feeble in the mike. Somebody yelled from among the group that those at the back couldn't hear, forcing her to apologise a bit loudly and kept repeating the act couple of more times, humbling her. Her head hung low in shame, the murmur in the crowd getting louder.

∆∆∆

'I have cried only twice in my life, when Chandrakanth broke up with me and when my mother passed away. My hands tremble as I fist the sides of my Kurti to hide them, lowering my head in shame. Suddenly I feel a hand clasping mine, Padmini stands up beside me and the jeering of those men die down.'

∆∆

"I apologise on behalf of Ms Kayla to all of you." Loud gasps and objections are heard, they all sound upset and claim Padmini shouldn't be the one to say sorry. Kayla couldn't help but notice that the staff held respect and adoration in their eyes for her and Paarth. Padmini gestured to one of the guards and spoke to her, "Kayla wait in the car. I need to speak with our staff."