Chapter 20

The newspapers and news channels were constantly going on with the same headlines, just varying in languages, tones and choice of words for the past two days.

The share prices of Jagannath Group of Companies have been consistently dropping after a series of unfortunate and shocking events.

When the anchor prompted their reporter to elaborate, the screen displayed the photograph of a man almost as old as Chandrakanth, the Operations Director of their parent company whose resignation had raised a storm within the organisation. Disgruntled Chandrakanth stepped off the treadmill and stormed out of his personal gym at home, a young man hurrying behind him handing his towel and bottle of water. Hoping to miraculously wash off the troubles and tension that were taking a toll on him Chandrakanth entered the luxurious bath.

"Arghhh... Shit! they can't even remember to replace the toiletries. Ravi..." his voice rumbled through the first floor of the mansion and brought the young man hurtling up the stairs.

"Si... Sir...." The uniformed lad in his twenties was trembling in fear, sweat building up around his scalp line under the fierce glare of his employer. He lowered his eyes and paused at the doorstep when he met his towel-clad boss, his reflexes snapped in at lightning pace and he moved towards the bathroom quickly replenishing the necessities and with a bowed head apologised and left the room in a blink.

When Chandrakanth stepped out, a docile Ravi pulled open the massive doors of the walk-in wardrobe, diligently pulling out draws, dragging out rails of hangers to reveal an array of shirts and suits, opening chests nestling expensive cufflinks, ties and wristwatches; picking out shoes to match his suit shining them further.

"Sir" Chandrakanth gestured him to proceed while fixing his tie "you are due for a haircut and beard trimming Sir."

Chandrakanth raised an eyebrow at his reflection and angled his head to reconfirm, "if I reach home early today". He nodded his head curtly, at that Ravi left the room assuring him to call his personal stylist to make an appointment. "A quick learner" Chandrakanth voiced his approval to no one in particular.

Ravi was his Man Friday at home taking care of him 24/7 and had successfully made it to the good books of the demanding billionaire.

Chandrakanth's phone chimed with a popup of his agenda for the day.

'Great! Back to back meeting with the Board and investors. Glad Paarth is handling the workers union and media!' He dropped the phone beside him. Paarth had left for the meeting with the workers union by 7 am, after giving him an earful over the phone.

Gauri the cook placed his breakfast before him and left, Ravi continued to serve him, while updating him on home affairs and certain personal commitments. "Sir, your uncle from Mumbai is expected today. The car will be sent to pick him up. Do you want to receive him personally or should Paarth sir...?"

Chandrakanth heaved a sigh thinking of his father's younger brother, dropping his cutlery thoughtfully, he reached for the glass of water, "Sir if you don't mind... Given the recent occurrences, it would be advisable you meet him at the airport. These gestures make the elders happy generally, and that's half your battle won Sir. Sorry if I'm overriding!" His face was devoid of any emotion in particular and his tone unwavering and clear, indicating his honesty. With a nod, Chandrakanth stood from his chair.

"What time is the flight?" the sunglasses perched on the bridge of his nose completed his charismatic look.

"8 pm sir" Ravi couldn't help but admire Chandrakanth's magnetism.

"I'll be there, just send me a reminder by seven".

"Is that man good looking or what? Thank God we both are straight else I would have been one of his victims".
He mumbled to himself and heard uproarious laughter on the other side of his hidden earpiece. "Oh! I forgot I was still connected to you prick" he deadpanned.