Chapter 9

**Text in italics indicate flashback or past occurrence in this chapter.

*Trigger warning: chapter contains mention of physical abuse!

                  ===========
There were just three hours left for the wedding  Muhrat (the auspicious time when the main wedding ceremony happens), but Padmini had to do something to calm her raging mind and heart before something untoward happened.

"Chandra"
he turned away from a group of their relatives and walked towards Padmini.

"Sorry! I need to talk to you please it's urgent".

She shut the door of the room he occupied in the resort.

"Any problem? Is everything ok?"  His concern was genuine.

She squared her shoulders and looked up at him "I do not know who your guest is and I might not even care if it was not Appu's wedding today. No! please don't interrupt me! Let me complete, if you think the wedding should proceed smoothly. This woman has no right to keep passing hurtful comments or keep boasting about herself. This is not her house nor her party and nobody is interested in her and she needs to keep her limits as a guest. One more time she taunts Parul unable to have children, or Sneha being Tamil girl; I shall not tolerate it and will throw her out. I'm holding on because she is your guest and I don't want to spoil your business relationship. I shall not tolerate anyone hurting my family. I think you would talk to her if you love Appu".

Chandrakanth was startled to see Padmini speaking so openly and boldly to him. She left, not waiting for his reply.

The otherwise unapologetic and egoistic Chandrakanth Malhotra was ridden with guilt and remorse. His past mistake came rushing in and gnawed at him, for having almost killed his unborn daughter. He left the room to speak to Kayla.

====

Aparna came in early, about two months premature. Jagannath, was in Mumbai, attending a family wedding. Chandra left Delhi after a fight with Padmini, despite her pleading with him not to leave her alone. Within a few hours, Padmini started bleeding and went into labour, with three-year-old Paarth and house help by her side. The ambulance was called and she was taken to hospital.

The maid had called the office and alerted Das, Chandrakanth's trusted aide about the situation and it turned out that Chandrakanth was on a flight to London and couldn't be reached. Padmini herself signed the papers for her emergency caesarean, the baby was placed in neonatal ICU.

Padmini had to be treated for the bruises and a spine injury. A day later after Jagannath arrived, the doctor had asked Padmini in private the reason for the bruises and the spinal injury. Padmini said she slipped and fell in the bathroom, neither the doctor nor Jagannath believed her. After about one month both the mother and the child were discharged.