Chapter 24

It was the day of Sneha's Godh Bharai (Baby shower). The first celebration at Kanth Manor after Aparna's wedding and the first one after Padmini's mysterious disappearance. Her absence was very obviously felt in every nook and corner of the mansion, in every arrangement and the heart of every individual under that roof.

Even Chandrakanth couldn't deny that he missed her. The amount of care and effort she took in all these preparations were undeniable but, never valued her or her presence. He was thankful that Parul had reached Delhi a few days back since he was clueless about these rites and rituals. Once she took charge of the preparations, he felt the headache of the household lifted off his shoulders.

The Godh Bharai was traditionally held at the in-laws of the mother to be. Since the ritual and the prayers are held for the well-being of the mother to be and the unborn child, a lot of care, concern and sentiments were involved, which couldn't be jeopardised.

~~~~

Chandakanth woke up to a lot of hustle and bustle heard from the ground floor, 'Parul can never learn to work noiselessly. God knows how she is running a company!'

He grumbled and rolled over, as he strained to open his tired eyes, he sat upright in shock. He did a double-take as he took in the sight before him. The sight he was so used to seeing in all these thirty years, Padmini was perched calmly in front of the dresser latching the hook of a pearl necklace around her neck.

He thought he detested the everyday sight but, her sheer presence right now made him realise that a sense of calm had enveloped him. Padmini eyed him surreptitiously, through the mirror; clad in one of her trademark silk sarees, her hair hung in a loose braid behind her back. She stood up and left the room without even acknowledging his presence. A dazed Chandrakanth was struggling to tell if what he saw was real or a dream.

~~~~

"What do you mean? Where was she all these days?" Chandakanth was whisper yelling at Paarth "how did she land here exactly today? How.." His next question died in his throat when he saw his sister approaching them.

"Paarth, here you go, give this to Sneha and make sure she eats well" handing him the breakfast tray.

"Why is he carrying them"? Chandakanth cocked his eyebrow.

"Why do you have to make everything an ego issue Dad? Carrying food for someone you love is not a crime. How would you know that?"

Parul turned on her heels to follow Paarth before she stopped and glanced back at Chandrakanth defiantly.

"I do not want you to ruin this day, at least for those two children. All your stupid questions will be answered but, post the ceremony after the guests have left. And, in case you're wondering, NO I shall not address you as my brother anymore. You lost the right." Parul seemed distant and hurt.

'The calm before the storm'! Chandakanth thought of it very lightly, before proceeding to greet his relatives. The ceremony usually involved only close family members of the parents to be, especially women.

~~~~

At the appointed auspicious hour, Padmini walked Sneha to the altar and made her sit on the aasan (low stool used as a seat during rituals) there were murmurs among the guests. Padmini smiled at Sneha and kissed her forehead fondly.

"Love you ma, we all are with you don't forget that" Sneha whispered holding Padmini's hand.

"Stop, what on earth is she doing here?" One of the older women from Chandrakanth's family commanded. Padmini who was about to begin the rituals turned around curiously towards the woman and greeted her respectfully. Parul, Paarth and Sneha watched silently as Padmini had requested them to. She had asked them earlier when she reached home, to wait until she requested their help.