Chapter 6

Hello all! Apologies for the delay! This chapter would be a visit to the past of Chandra and Padmini's lives as newly weds.

*text in italics indicate the present

It's been three weeks, since Padmini had slept. The wedding festivities begin tomorrow. She had neither addressed the issue nor the emotion and pain behind the betrayal which had left a huge gaping hole in her being. She just felt numb, couldn't understand how she should react to his betrayal. She was keeping herself busy so that she wouldn't have time to think about anything. She can't afford to fall into the deep inviting pit of empathy now. She had responsibilities.

It was not due to his emotional unavailability in the recent times nor the fear of his absence in future, that she felt numb. He had made it very clear to her very early on in their relationship that she was not to depend on him for any of her emotional needs.

Over the years she had suppressed her emotions so much that she was unable to process her thoughts or emotions when it came to her own self. To prioritise herself was a bit too overwhelming and felt selfish too.

He had always been the dominant person in their relationship by all means and she happily let him, like a dutiful Indian wife. She thought that is how marriage works.

'Keep your husband happy, be an obedient daughter-in-law and wife at all costs. Husband is above all. Pride, honour and happiness of sasuraal (the family one is married into) is more important'.

These advices are like heirloom accessories for all women from her parents. Family and their needs were priority and the woman herself was nowhere on that list.

The best misogynistic statement ever was 'once the woman enters her husband's home only her dead body should leave the house'. Padmini let out a dry chuckle at the most cruel and unfair thought process.

Young Padmini was made to believe and accept all these advices to be her scripture; swore by them, lived true to each and every word elders drilled into her, lived and breathed for this sole purpose. Now she is doubtful of them. After wasting half her life time, devoted to and loving Chandrakanth unconditionally, she had realised that getting him to accept and acknowledge her as a good wife was 'mission impossible'. Now it was a lost cause!

🍁🍁🍁🍁

At the age of eighteen a naive and shy girl from a poor family in a small village was uprooted and replanted in the nation's capital city, into the family of a rich and famous industrialist. Her rags to riches Cinderella story was  probably very impressive from the outside. What was the insider story?

Chandrakanth was upset over many things. His breakup with Kayla, he couldn't even trace her. Padmini was nothing that he sought for in a wife. His application to one of the American universities was rejected and he got admission here in India, and so on!