Chapter 8

CALM BEFORE THE STORM

I set sail into the ocean of life,
With you on my side.
Together we were to explore,
Unknown channels and reach ashore.
Taking turns,we steered the craft,
Sailing and staying abreast, through Thundering storms, raging hurricanes,
and peaceful waters too we crossed.
You were the captain
and I your shipmate!

Lost in the rhythmic pulse of life,
Little did I notice a threat arise!
Who rocked my boat?
Was it a castaway or a pirate?
Neither, I was back stabbed
By my own conceited mate!
A sacred journey meant for me and you,
Marred by a tramp let in by you!
I'm done bamboozled by you,
It's time to bid adieu!

- by Anu (me)

⚜⚜⚜

Text in italics are the character's POV

A few hours before the haldi ceremony..

Padmini's phone buzzed as she was helping Sneha who had grown tired due to her morning sickness.

"Where are you? I've been looking for the past ten minutes".

"Sneha isn't feeling well Chandra, so I was with her".

"Oh! Is she ok? Should we call a doctor or something"?

"No, not necessary. she is ok. Her mother is with her. Is there something important?"

"Yes, meet me near the gazebo quickly".

She hurried out. She could see Chandra, Surya and Emma talking to another lady from a distance. They were seated on the chairs arranged in front of the gazebo, with their back towards her.

'We aren't expecting any guests this morning. I need to get another room ready now..'

As she neared, her heart flipped at that voice and she grew edgy.

'It's the same lady, who is she? Why am I so nervous? Why am I getting negative feeling about this?'

"Chandra.." it took her so much effort to speak, there was an unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach. She walked around and stood in front of them. Padmini could feel her body burning, her ears ring, felt blood pulsing inside her head, and nausea rising.

"Padmini" Chandra's voice brought her back to normalcy. "Padmini this is my friend, Kayla Kothari we've been friends since college. Do you recall a former Union Minister Mr. Mangal Kothari, his daughter."