chapter 27

'Who the hell is he? Why should I meet him?'

Chandrakanth was already agitated with Padmini ignoring him, now adding fuel to fire was the truth of how the labour strike had ended; with Padmini's intervention. This was infuriating him even more. He was still perplexed as to how she managed to convince Kayla to apologise when she had refused his request. The mere thought that Padmini went to the factory and spoke to the staff without his knowledge or permission was angering him even more. He was worried that it might put him in a tight spot amongst the shareholders and investors.

'You will get your answers but, when the time is right. I have lived by your rules all these years, not any more.

Padmini's words kept ringing in his ears making him apprehensive and furious by the minute. He felt the man who accompanied her had to do something with her newfound courage. He was dying to throw that guy out, but the rest of the family insisted he should be their guest for a while.

'Was there something going on between him and Padmini? Was she with him all these days, when she went missing?'
The possibility terrified him.

'What the hell! How dare she? Wait until I get my hands on you ungrateful bitch!'

To his utter disappointment, she was always accompanied by either Parul or Aparna or Paarth; and never alone. Once, just once he was dying to get his hands on her, to show her who runs the family and put her back where she belongs.

"Dad"

Chandrakanth gritted his teeth narrowing his eyes, as Paarth's loud voice broke his train of thoughts. He glanced at Paarth who stood at the door of his office with Kabeer. He nodded his head and gestured them both towards the plush seaters in his office.

Chandrakanth was flabbergasted. Normally people who meet him try to idolise him or act graciously with him aiming for mutual benefits, given his status. This man who was a nonentity had an assertive demeanour about himself which was intriguing and irritating nevertheless, which hurt his ego.

"And what's the story you've been spinning?"
Chandrakanth's arrogance took the driver's seat, gesturing Paarth to stay quiet.
"Go ahead! What's your name again?"

Kabeer crossed his legs and relaxed back on the sofa.
"Well, a thorough investigation would reveal who is spinning a story, Mr Malhotra." He sat there with an unreadable expression. "While inquiring on your wife's mysterious disappearance and why no complaint was filed by the family would probably spill more interesting facts about this benevolent industrialist", gesturing towards Chandrakanth.

Chandrakanth's annoyance was tipping towards the edge while Paarth seemed calm. Paarth had forced him to meet and talk with Kabeer when all he wanted was the man out of his sight and life.

A guilt-tripped Chandrakanth reacted in fury as expected,
"and who the hell are you exactly? Why are you interested in my family affairs? Paarth, send him out now."