Chapter 5

Chandrakanth had invited his brother Suryakanth and family to the wedding and he had arrived a few days before the wedding, with his wife Emma and their twin daughters.

"Chandra Da* learn to live without Bhabi ".

The whole family that had gathered around the dining table froze at Parul's statement. Spoons hung mid-air, and mouths stopped chewing. Parul spoke in English so that Suryakanth's family wouldn't feel alienated. Padmini's heart stopped beating in her chest. Chandra's face twisted in a scowl, while Parul was the only one busy savouring Padmini's cooking, digging deep into the plate of her favourite food.

She casually glanced up at him, "What? Until I leave for London, I want her to spend time with me. So, she will be sleeping in my room. That would be about another three weeks from now. Yep! I'm done! you can start your long lecture now. I have a video call to make. Bye guys!"

She got and pecked Padmini's cheek, "Padmini darling, you outdid my mom's cooking today. Too good"!

She walked off nonchalantly, towards the kitchen carrying her plate, leaving the others gaping like fools with morsels of food in their hand. Except for Chandrakanth and Padmini the others were trying hard to suppress their laughter, the first to lose control was Suryakanth and then the rest of the family followed. Chandrakanth was trying his best to contain his temper in front of his brother's family.

"She hasn't changed a bit right Chandra? Devil! Drama queen! Wonder how Akash is managing her?"

He saw his younger brother's face still contorted in anger.

"Oh! you haven't changed either, have you?"

He reached toward Chandrakanth and pat his arm gently.

"These are light-hearted sibling banters Chandra. You don't realise the value of these, because you were not deprived of them. I do. I missed family, all of you! All the small moments and big ones too. Our childhood memories were what I was left with. Yes, I loved and will always love Emma and my girls. When Babuji (father) gave me a choice between pride and love, I chose love. I'm glad I did! But never thought he would choose pride over his son; thereby cutting ties with me. I'm glad and thankful to you, at least you thought about me and invited us to your children's wedding. At least you chose family!"

He pats his brother's back as he got up to leave.

The last phrase pricked a needle in Chandrakanth's chest, unknowingly. The mood had thoroughly changed. Surya's words were ringing in their ears, as an awkward silence hung in the air. Chandra lifted his head and glanced around the table and gestured at the others to eat.

Strange are the ways that the human mind works! The statement uttered by Suryakanth explained his pain, but Chandra and Padmini felt hurt for an entirely different reason. As they say, TO EACH HIS OWN!