Changes in the roles?

Remus and I walked into the Great Hall with soft smiles, discussing the homework from yesterday's lessons.

"You see, that's where you're wrong." Remus stared at me, waiting expectantly for me to continue as we approached the Gryffindor table and our friends.

"And how is that?" He smirked, dropping into a seat beside James on the bench, while I dropped into the empty space between Sirius and Lily. Remus leaned forwards on his arms, cocky in his words. "I'm always right." I rolled my eyes, shaking my head with a smile as I pulled out a notebook, sliding it across the table to him.

"Page 138, it clearly states that muggles are exempt from the rule, as only witches and wizards are able to roam the Earth after death." I smiled smugly, as Remus' cocky smile fell into one of a form of praise.

"Fine, you were right." He closed the book and handed it back to me. "Might want to get the book back to the Restricted section before Pince notices though." I went to say something but realised that Remus was right, I did need to get it back before the Librarian noticed that it was missing.

"Where have you two been? We need an explanation!" Rem and I shared a look before glancing between James and Sirius.

"About what?" Remus chuckled, 'confused'. Lily was actually confused, looking through all of us as she shovelled some scrambled eggs into her mouth on half a slice of toast.

"How you two know each other!" Sirius snapped, making me laugh beside him.

"We met in first year, you were both there!" I defended. Remus and I had agreed to start anew the day we re-introduced ourselves on the train on our way to Hogwarts, it was a silent agreement of sorts.

"You're lying."

Rem's eyes met mine, silently wondering if we should actually tell them. I shook my head ever so slightly, my smile faltering. Remus shrugged, lightly kicking my leg under the table as he rest his chin on the palm of his hand. He nodded to James who was glaring at me, trying to get me to reveal my secrets. I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck, sitting up straight before finally admitting to our past.

"Fine, I'm lying." James and Sirius sat up straight, intrigued, and so had Lily, curious as to what was going on. "We grew up together, but once he knew I was coming to Hogwarts, we stopped hanging out. Weird time to stop talking to me, in my opinion, kind of hurt." Remus sent me a sad, apologetic smile.

"In my defence, I was still learning to deal with the werewolf shit-"

"Ah ah, you were dealing with it before you abandoned our friendship, Moons."

"(N/n)-"

"Nope, shush." I held a finger up as I continued to explain to our friends. "Basically, because Remmy, here, decided to distance himself from the only friend he had before Hogwarts, I thought it'd be best if, because we were around new people, that Remus have a new start, new friends, which is why I was so happy to have you two sit with me...and then see Remus turn up with someone..." I paused, the boys and Lily staring at me as I went quiet. "I was so confused when Rem first stopped talking to me, because he was so excited to know that he wasn't going to be alone at Hogwarts...And then when you all met, I thought we weren't going to be friends anymore, at all."

"Why though?" James asked, his chin resting on his arms, which were folded on the table as he stared at me like a child listening to their mother tell a fairy-tale.

"This young, shy boy, who's only friend was someone of the opposite gender...finally had a group of boys to be friends with, to help him through everything I couldn't." My eyes met Remus' as my smile completely fell. "The hardest part of my life wasn't you leaving me alone...It was knowing you'd make more friends, and that you'd leave me behind." James shared a look with Sirius, surprised, before sharing the same look with Lily. Remus just stared at me.

"Sounds like you love him." I stared at James, the soft tone in his voice having caught my attention. "Platonically or not, you love him." James chuckled, looking to Rem. "And I think you love her."

"And what do you know about love, Prongs? You still ain't got Evans." Sirius teased. James just shrugged.

"Ay, watch your mouth, Pads. If Crook and Moony get together by the end of this year, Lily has to go on a date with me." James sat up, pointing a warning finger at Sirius accusatorily.

"We made an agreement." Lily nodded with a sigh. I shook my head, rolling my eyes. Remus stared at me for a moment, nodding over to the now arguing Sirius and James, Lily going back t her food.

"So?"

"What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him with a laugh. Remus chuckled, leaning across the table, tipping my chin up and pressing his lips to mine. As he quickly pulled away and sat back down, he offered me a quick wink. Out of the corner of my eye I saw McGonagall smiling and nodding as Dumbledore slid something across the table to our head of house. I pursed my lips in surprise and quickly pointed it out. "You're a cheeky little shit, I hope you know that." Remus just smirked, sending me a wink as he nodded.