Seventh Year

Over the passed six or seven years, the boys and I had antagonized Severus Snape in countless ways. During our fifth year, we had become animagus to aid Remus in his monthly transformation. The Marauders were properly formed now. We had all been together since our first year, me begging the hat to put me in Gryffindor with them, it obliged. We all had nicknames, Remus, however, had been stuck with Moony since our first year because of me, although, Sirius was Padfoot, we considered Snuffles, but he didn't like it, James was Prongs because of his potronus being stag, Peter went by Wormtail because he could turn into a rat. I couldn't turn into anything...I would have, but I have this strange thing called 'a lack of adventure' as the boys liked to call it. For years James had been perusing Lily, and I had been helping out, trying to persuade the girl that he wasn't that bad. Our plan hadn't worked out so far, James was still single. Lily had befriended Severus during our first few years of tormenting him, only increasing that torment when he had called her a 'mudblood'. Because I only really hung out with the boys, I had adopted a style of t-shirts, zip-ups, jeans and sneakers, it was very rare to see me in skirts, shorts or dresses, even a tank top...or my hair down. In addition to our daily adventures, the five of us had started work on a small project, The Marauder's Map. It was this small, bewitched roll of parchment that displayed the castle grounds and inhabitants of, including all staff, ghosts and students, in great detail, at the moment James uses it to spy on Lily. The boys had been very productive with our usual antics...I say the boys because I hadn't, leading us to now.

I sat in the Gryffindor common room at a table close to the dorm stairs, mainly the one in the corner in front of the one which lead to the boys dorms, so I wouldn't be seen by them. Lily sat on the sofa in front of the fire reading a book, looking up every now and then to check on me and how my work was going. Yes, work, I had noticed my workload was getting heavier and heavier, and I wasn't doing any of it. I had chosen to look up just as my favourite boys joined the common room from upstairs in their room. However, someone else walked in through the portrait too. Regulus??

"McGonagall sent me, she wants to see (Y/n)." Almost immediately after he said that, Sirius' little brother left. I stared at where he had stood, realising she was our head of house. I groaned, setting my quill down and getting up, ignoring the boys behind me and their greetings. I stuffed my hands into my pockets, following my usual route to her office.

I lightly knocked on the door, pushing it open.

"You wanted to see me professor?" She looked up from the papers she was grading.

"Yes, please, come sit." I shut the door behind me and took a seat in front of her. "Miss Spencer, there is worry among the staff." I furrowed my brows, utterly confused. "For multiple reasons." I swallowed thickly. "Your grades are down, dramatically." She handed me a progress sheet and I noticed I had gone from an O to a P, meaning from outstanding, the top grade, to a borderline fail, P -Poor, meaning I just about failed. "We're concerned you're spending too much time with your friends and barely any on your school work. Your grades have slipped substantially over the summer, did something happen at home?" The memory of what had indeed happened flooded my mind. I shook my head in response.

"No, nothing happened." McGonagall nodded, setting her quill down and closing her ink pot.

"We're also concerned regarding your behaviour." I stared at her, still confused. "You haven't been acting yourself. Anything happened with the boys? Lily?" I shook my head. "Is there anything you want to talk about? Anything worrying you?" I stayed quiet. There obviously was something wrong with me. Over the summer both of my parents had been murdered, and not even magically, with a knife. It was a B&E that went wrong in the muggle world, we lived in the middle of London, so the image of that had been ingrained in my mind all academic year. Not to mention that last year, I had Remus tutoring me, this year I had such a big crush on him, I couldn't be n the same room as him without losing focus. "(Y/n), if there's something you want to talk about-"

"My parents died." My teacher fell silence, not having expected the response.

"Pardon?"

"Over the summer, someone broke in. They didn't realise my parents were home and it all went wrong, they ended up killing my parents." I was quiet, I didn't even have a single tear in my eyes. "They couldn't even use magic to defend themselves in case they exposed the existence of magic to a muggle. And because of that, they were murdered." I had been looking down at my lap, and still was.

"I'm so very sorry to hear about that, you have my condolences. There's another thing bothering you though, isn't there?" I nodded ever so slightly.

"I can't be in the same room as Remus. When I am, it feels like I can't breathe, like I can't keep composed around him." McGonagall chuckled, causing me to look up.

"Miss Spencer, I think it's best if you return to your tutoring sessions with Mister Lupin, it'll benefit you greatly, in your problem and your grades." I slowly nodded. "I'll ask him tomorrow morning during our lesson." I smiled in thanks. "You are dismissed, have a good night (Y/n)."

"You too, Professor."

I sighed, ruffling my hair as I walked the corridors, staring at the portrait until it let me in, knowing I was too stubborn to say the ridiculous word we had for a password this year. I muttered a thanks before walking in.

"Hey Lily." I mumbled, not looking up from the weird angle between forwards and down that I was looking. I groaned when I saw four pair of shoes blocking the girls stairs. "Can you move?" None of the four moved.

"Something's wrong." Sirius commented, I stayed silent, shaking my head.

"Yes, there is." Peter continued, I could her the worry in his voice. I ignored it.

"(Y/n), You can talk to us if there's-"

"There's nothing wrong! Will you just drop it!" My head shot up and I made eye contact with a thoroughly surprised James Potter. "Sorry." I muttered, pushing passed the taken aback group, as I headed up to my dorm room.