Astronomy Tower

I huffed as Alice sat me in front of her mirror, fussing around with my hair as Marlene sat beside me, twisting me away from a mirror in order to cover my face in make-up.

"I really don't understand why I'm going." I sighed. All three girls were ready and dressed, all done up, and now they were helping the least girly of the group, the one who had never done make-up, barely wore dresses, had never been to a formal event...never been on a date. I'd always been surrounded by boys, so I'd never had the chance to really think about boys in any other way than as a friend, I'd never been around girls long enough for them to gossip about guys.

"Look, we'll get James up here, or at least get him to wait in the common room, or Remus." I tensed up a little and whipped around to Lily.

"It's fine Lils, you guys go on ahead and enjoy your little dates." Marlene set down the eyeliner as she finished up, with a nervous smile.

"Are you sure?" I nodded.

"Of course. I'll come find you guys later." The girls smiled, each offering me their own form of goodbyes.

For about another thirty minutes, I sati in my dorm contemplating as to whether or not I should even go tonight, as usual. I took a deep breath, bit my lip, and swallowed my pride as a Marauder, as 'one of the boys', and decided on going to this event. I carefully left my room and headed down the stairs, watching every step and lifting the skirt of my dress so I wouldn't trip over it. As II reached the bottom of the stairs, I looked up from my feet, still a little wary, although my heart stopped. Right in front of me, stood in the common room, talking amongst themselves, were the Marauder's and their dates. Sirius was the one to look from his conversation and smile at me.

"Took you long enough, you ready?" I slowly nodded.

"We did say that we weren't leaving you behind, mate." A small smile crossed my lips as James spoke. I finally had friends who cared enough about me, to do this. Lily smiled brightly as James wrapped an arm around her waist. Sirius had his arm slung over Marlene's shoulders. Alice had already gone off with Frank. And Peter had one of the Hufflepuff girls with him. I looked over to my best friend, my closest friend, Remus John Lupin, and he smiled, the softest smile I had ever seen.

"We'll see you in the hall, Crook." I nodded as Peter nudged his two friends to follow after him as he left the common room. Remus was leaning against the back of the sofa, his hands stuff in his trouser pockets. He was dressed in a dark three piece suit, and a black tie....which coincidentally matched the colour of my dress.

"It suits you." Remus soft smile travelling into the sound of his voice. "You look amazing, (N/n)." It was something I hadn't been called in years, especially by Remus. I smiled hesitantly. "Why don't you be yourself around us?" I stared at him, a little surprised by the question.

"W-what?"

"You...dress like us boys...literally..." He sucked on his tongue. "You steal my jumpers, Sirius' t-shirts, James' hoodies..." I continued to stare at him from the bottom of the stairs. "Why not be yourself?" He looked up from staring at the floor, his eyes meeting mine innocently but pleadingly.

"Because...I-It doesn't feel right. I'm around boys, so I think that to be friends with them...I need to be on their level." Remus chuckled under his breath.

"(N/n), they love you...You dressing how you want to, instead of trying to fit in with us...they'll love it." I stared at him before moving to stand in front of him. "I promise, if you be and dress how you feel comfortable, they'll love you more than you think." I stared at him again, looking down to my hands as I fiddled with my fingers, before looking up to meet Remus' eyes with a smile. I wrapped my arms around his shoulders and pulled him into a tight hug.

"You never were one for your words...were you, Rems?" He shook his head and slunk his arms around my waist.

"Look, I promise you this." We separated and he leaned down to me, tilting my chin up. "The more comfortable you are, the more fun you'll have, and the more loved you'll feel." He gently set his lips to mine. "Now, would you like to go to the Ball, or would you like to go to the Astronomy tower?" Another smile crossed my lips and I took Remus' hand.

"Astronomy tower, please."

Remus held my hand as he led me up the stairs of the Astronomy tower. My eyes widened and my breath caught in my throat.

The moon was three-quarters-full, the sky was clear, and thanks to the lack of light pollution, there wasn't a single thing to block the beautiful sight of the stars. I quietly wandered over to the edge of the area, gently gripping the bar surrounding the tower to look down the cliff and over the black lake. A satisfied and nostalgic smile crossed my lips. I looked to my right as II noticed movement. Remus was stood beside me, his arms resting on the bar as he was bent over ever so slightly.

"Makes you miss home, doesn't it?" I nodded, almost unnoticeably.

"It reminds me of summer nights...when we'd spend hours by the sea..." Our parents, once a week, would get together and take us to the beach, each week was something different. My most prominent memory of these days, was when we stayed until after dark, when we watched the sun set over the sea, simply standing in the ocean as hit crashed against the sand. I remember the way I used to feel when around Remus...how I always felt safe, comfortable...like I was home...

"What changed between us?" I heard Remus ask, his voice quiet, almost a whisper as he looked up to the moon. I looked up to the same satellite, my smile softening.

"You know why..." Out of the corner of my eye I saw Remus nod a little, looking down to his hands as he tapped one against the other.

"I know we restarted..." I glanced over to him. "But I'd rather if we hadn't." I tilted my head a little confused. "Imagine how things would have been if we'd acted like we'd known each other on the train." My eyes drifted back to the scenery ahead of us as a gust of wind blew passed us, fluttering my skirt and hair.

"James, Sirius, and Peter would have been confused..."

"I'd have been scared, but happier than I was." I smiled softly with a quiet laugh.

"You have no idea how I felt when you walked into that carriage."

"I thought you'd replaced me when I saw Padfoot and Prongs." Remus chuckled, making me smile a little more. "Thought I didn't stand a chance." I tilted my head once again, confused. "I really liked you, it's actually the reason I started to distance myself...I thought it would be easier in the result of the unavoidable rejection." It was a surprise, that he had admitted it that is...the two or three kisses he'd given me were a clear indication. "And after your reaction at dinner with what Alice was saying, I'm not exactly sure what to do now." I stared at him.

"Moony, you know I love you, right?" His head whipped around to face me as I smiled softly.

"What?"

"I mean, I love you all. You, Sirius, Jamie, Pete...but Alice was right." Remus stood up straight in surprise. "We've got the history, and you are cute..." His smile grew that little bit, and I giggled. "I love you, Remus, and I have since we were young." His hand quickly grabbed my wrist and tugged me towards him, his lips immediately meeting mine as his other hand slipped onto my waist, pulling my body as close to his as possible. Mixed with the beautiful circumstances, I couldn't have asked for a better night, with a better result.

"I still wanna be your favourite boy." He chuckled with a cheeky grin and I laughed. "I wanna be the one..." I smiled and pecked his lips.

"You might just be the one."