Charms and Defence

I sat in class, fiddling with my quill as I spaced out, staring out of the window to the side of the classroom. There were so many things to think about...especially what Severus had said a few days ago.

About 'trouble in paradise'...Was he insinuating that Remus and II weren't a good match? We'd been friends for years, our personalities working very well together. He wanted me to break up with Remus because I had scars. I tilted my head, furrowing my eyebrows. He linked my scars to Remus...and because of that he told me to break up with my boyfriend...because he'd hurt me in some way...What was going on with him this year...

"Miss Spencer!" My head whipped around from looking out of the window to look at my teacher, Professor Flitwick. "Do try to pay attention in my class." I nodded, adjusting my seating as I looked across the room to see Remus tilting his head curiously. He nodded to me, silently asking if I was okay. I simply nodded, looking back down to my notes. Was Severus right...? Since I started dating Remus a few things have gone wrong, and he's felt like he's had to apologise more than once. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair, adjusting the position of my parting.

We had one more class for the day, Defence Against the Dark Arts. I quietly walked alongside Lily and James as Peter, Sirius and Remus wandered to class behind us.

"Why so quiet, Spencer?" I turned my head to the source of the voice, becoming surprised when I found the source to be Emma Vanity, one of our year groups resident Slytherin's. She dropped her arm over my shoulders and tugged me away from my friends, who were just as confused as I was. "You know something." I stared at her as we hurried along to our next class. I shook my head. "About our next class, you twat." I thought for a moment before nodding. "What is it? A test?" I shook my head.

"Boggarts."

"Boggarts?" iI nodded once more as she leaned nearer to me as we approached the classroom. "You afraid of something?" I nodded once more.

"Yeah...there was an incident not long back...and I think once people find out what it is...they won't want to be around me very much." Emma just laughed.

"If your mates leave you," She dropped into her usual seat, lightly tugging me to sit in the one beside her, opposed to my usual seat beside Remus. "You can always hang out with me and my mates."

"Aren't your friends all Slytherin?" She nodded with a shrug, nodding to the door as my group of companions walked in.

"They may be, but Slytherin's make friend's for life." As I went to stand up to go and sit back with my own house, she grabbed the sleeve of my robe. "Make your allies now, before the war comes." I tilted my head as she smirked, offering me a wink before releasing my sleeve, allowing me to rejoin my group.

"What was that all about?" Sirius asked, moving to his usual seat by James instead of mine. I dropped into mine, dumping my bag onto the floor beside my feet. I stared at my notebook as I grabbed my textbook and ink, shaking my head.

"We were just talking about class."

"She mentioned allies, (Y/n). You aren't getting away with lying to us, mate." I turned around to look Sirius dead in the eye.

"There's a war coming, and you know this. It's better to make allies in Slytherin now instead of dying on the battlefield-"

"You wouldn't die for a noble cause-?" Sirius was about to tease, but I just scowled.

"I'd rather live passed twenty one, thanks." Sirius fell silent as our Professor walked in.

"Boggarts! What can you tell me about them?" She looked around the room. "Mister Lupin!" Remus had his back against the wall, quietly talking to James, who was also in a wall seat.

"They're shape-shifters. Transform into the greatest fear of the nearest observer." Our teacher nodded, jotting it down onto the board.

"Miss Vanity! Your turn!"

"When there's more than one person present it can become confused, or indecisive..." The professor nodded again, glancing over the room full of students.

"On a little trip we go! Everyone up! Follow me!" I shared a look with Emma, who wandered over to me once I had stood up.

"Think about what I said." I nodded, sucking on my cheek and stuffing my hands into my pockets before following after her, the boys and Lily following with Marlene.

We stood in an almost empty room, a dark oak cabinet in the middle.

Gradually we went throughout the students, facing the Boggart and using a spell - Riddikulus - In some sort of attempt to cause it to become indecisive once more, to defend ourselves against them. Remaining there was Rems and I. Remus had gone before me, the appearance simply becoming the moon with a few clouds. It looked fairly serene and peaceful, although it did then become a balloon, a small smile crossing his lips as he joined our friends. Finally it was my turn, and my heart was pounding in my chest, I knew what my greatest fear was now...especially when the Boggart shifted into it right in front of me. It was like reliving that night all over again...

"Professor, I can't do this-" I went to turn around and walk away to my friends, only to hear a low growl.

"Ah, ah, never, ever, turn your back on a Boggart."

"Professor, I don't think this is ethical-" James went to protest, only to be silenced as she rose her finger to shush him. II hesitantly looked up from the ground at it's feet, which were awfully close to me. I quietly laughed to myself, with fearful tears in my eyes, hesitantly raising my wand. I sucked in a deep breath, smiling softly as my eyes met that of the werewolf-formed boggart.

"Riddikulus." The daunting figure slowly shrank into that of a puppy, to which I smiled at, giggling softly.

"Well dealt with, Miss Spencer, an interesting boggart to say the least..." I offered her a smile as she picks up the puppy and set it back into the cupboard while I headed back over to my friends.

"That's..." Peter began, looking to the Marauder's for the right word to describe it. Remus just sighed, rubbing the back of his neck and ruffling his hair.

"Unfortunate..."