Yule Ball

The morning after my encounter with Remus in the shrieking shack was a weekday morning, meaning we had classes. Now usually I would wear trousers, and today was no different, I was happily dressed in my usual trousers, my hair still tied up in some way or another. But as I sat into my usual seat beside Marlene at breakfast, we were all soon quietened by our headmaster.

"Christmas is upon us, and to celebrate the coming new year, the staff and I, here at Hogwarts, would like to invite the upper years - five through seven - to join the celebration in two weeks." Professor McGonagall was the next to stand, approaching the front of the hall.

"I'd like to state that each house will be offered dance lessons run by myself, Professor Sprout, Professor Slughorn, and Professor Flitwick."

"How's Flitwick gonna teach anyone to dance? He can barely reach the table." Sirius chuckled as James smiled to himself, the rest of us still listening.

"There will be a dress code, and to remind fifth to seventh years, this is a Christmas ball event, so please be behaved." As she turned to head back to the staff table, she turned back to face all of us students. "Oh, and do enjoy yourselves. Just a heads up, dates may be beneficial." Immediately James' eyes flew to Lily, who smiled softly and laughed to herself. Sirius glanced over to Marlene, who nodded lazily. And everyone already knew Alice was going with Frank, who was a year ahead of us. So I had a choice between Remus, Peter, or on my own.
I sucked on my teeth, knowing I'd end up going alone or as a three with Peter and Rem if they couldn't find dates. Lily looked over to me with a sympathetic smile. McGonagall finally went back to her seat and dinner continued.

"So, James, you u nearly know who your asking, I know who I'm asking..." Sirius winked at Marlene, who just rolled her eyes. He then looked to Remus and Peter. "Who are you two asking?" Black questioned as he stared on his roast potatoes. Remus and Peter shared a look before glancing over to me. I shrugged.

"Don't look at me, I don't even know if I'm going." James looked to Marlene, who just nodded with a smirk.

"Guess, one of the others girls in the three other houses, ini the three of the years going, will ask Remus." I glared at her for a moment before letting it fall and shrugging once more.

"Okay?" I shook my head and went back to my food. "Why you telling me that?" Sirius and Lily shared a glance, confused by my reaction.

"You're not...bothered by the idea of it?" Lily asked and I shook my head without a second thought.

"Remus doesn't have a girlfriend, I'm his mate, he can go with whoever he wants." My voice and expression was genuine and unbothered. Marlene and Lily stared at me. "What?" Sirius and James shared another glance before going back to their food.

"I thought you were his girlfriend." Alice's voice piped up and II stared at her, incredibly confused.

"Where the fuck did you get that from?" Remus continued on with his dinner while Peter snickered to himself.

"Well...You guys kissed, you grew up together, so you've known each other most of your lives - which I think really does seem like a rather good background for a relationship-" I felt my face heat a little and my heart began to race. "Remus does also seem like the type of romantic that you'd be interested in-" I froze for a moment, stopping from eating my food and I also set my fork down. "You two are awfully close, much closer than Lily and James even are-" I rubbed my hand over the back of my neck.

"Alice, please stop." I finally spoke, causing her to immediately halt in her words. "Well...I'm going to bed..." I stood up from my seat as Remus pushed a couple things on his plate around, Peter's eyes following me as I moved. "See you guys tomorrow."

"I think we may I pushed it a little far tonight-"

"You think, Sirius?" Remus hissed, glaring at him.

_________________

Over the past week I had been popping in and out of the common room non-stop, pretty much avoiding Peter and Remus when I saw them.

I screamed a little when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist, almost tackling me, however they quickly stood up, slinging me over their shoulder. My eyes immediately met that of one James Potter, leading me to believe that I happened to be over the shoulder of one Sirius Orion Black.

"Sirius! Put me down!" I swat his back repeatedly.

"Will you stop that?!" He snapped with a laugh, chuckling me up a bit.

"Sirius!" James cackled as I screamed again.

There was quiet as we wandered the castle.

"Where are we going?"

"You, dearest Crook, need to choose between our Moony and Wormtail." I stared at James, a little confused.

"What do you mean?" He just shrugged with a smirk.

"Well, mate, if we're going to that ball, so are you." Sirius smiled, patting my leg.

"Why do I have to go?" I asked as the boys began to ascend the staircase toward our portrait.

"If I remember correctly, you were afraid Moons would leave you behind..." I stayed quiet, listening to the pair.

"So, we all agreed we'd make sure you weren't ever left behind." James chuckled again. "Meaning you've gotta come with us." I smiled softly, propping up my chin up on my hands with my elbows digging into Sirius' back.

"Awe, Jamie!" I was probably closest with James, aside form Remus, since he was the first of our little Hogwarts group who I had met, so I'd always been comfortable around him. Sirius walked through the portrait hole after James had. "If I do go, do I have to wear a dress?" Sirius chucked me onto the sofa, where Remus resided. I cackled as I accidentally kicked his book. "Sorry, Rem." He sighed and shook his head with a smile.

"What are you three up to?"

"Getting our dear Crook to decide between you and Worms." Remus glanced over to me as I stared into the fireplace, zoning out a little.

"Mate, I don't think she wants to go with either of us." Peter chuckled as he dropped onto the sofa beside me, draping his arm over the back of it. Moony, Pads, and Prongs looked to me. I shrugged. "She's the type of person who'd rather just stay in, you never noticed that?" I tilted my head as I stared at Peter. "After about nine she's usually upstairs Orr on this sofa." I continued to stare at him.

"How do you know that?" Peter shrugged, smiling at the mild hostility in Remus' tone.

"She's the only girl in a group of lads, you take notice." I a bit of heat rise to my cheeks as I looked back to the fire, leaning back into the sofa.

"Well, yeah-"

"Plus she's cute." I smiled a little, pulling my legs into my chest as I hugged my knees, burying my face into my knees a little so none of the boys could see my reaction. "Come on, you guys must have noticed by now." Peter looked over the group, who just shared glances. "You seriously haven't noticed?" He became a more than a little confused. "You do know she wears skirts, and dresses, right?" I slowly turned my head to look at Peter, my eyes widening a little. I was silent for a moment, we all were, and just as I was about to speak, Remus did.

"How the fuck do you know that?" It was now my turn to stare at Remus in surprise.

"How the fuck do you?" remus stared at me for a moment.

"I grew up with you!"

"Yeah, but you've known me in high school as long as they have! I'm surprised Peter noticed before you did!" Peter smiled, proud of himself for actually noticing something.

"When the fuck did you start wearing dresses again?" I pouted with a sigh and just stared at my best friend, just as two of three girls walked into the room.

"(Y/n)! There you are! Come on, we need your opinion!" Lily rounded the sofa and grabbed my hand, yanking me up from the sofa and over to the girls stairs.