The Second Prologue

Ever since the day my letter had arrived, Remus had gradually been becoming more distant, which in turn, caused me to do the same. My bags were packed and my mother had so kindly gone adventuring around Diagon Alley with me to buy school supplies, after Hope, Remus' mother had told us how to get there and where to go. She seemed happy to help, over the moon even...it's a shame she was gravely ill, she sounded as though she really wanted to see it once again. Her son and I, we had most definitely drifted apart, we hadn't spoken in months. He hadn't come down the road or anything...

But now here I was having pushed a trolley on platform 9 and 3/4 with all of my bags and hauling one of my smaller bags into a compartment, where I happened to find a boy with messy dark hair and circular glasses staring out of the window.

"Good Morning." I spoke with a gentle smile, edging my way into the small room. "May I?" I pointed to the seat opposite him beside the window and the boy nodded with a friendly smile. "I'm (Y/n)." I held a hand out to him and he gladly took it in his and shook it.

"James, James Potter."

"Well, it's nice to meet you, James." He chuckled and nodded in agreement. 

The two of us spoke for a few minutes before another boy joined us in the compartment. Curly, black, mid-length hair, fair skin and striking grey eyes. James and I turned our head when he walked in, dropping onto the seat beside James.

"Alright?" The newer boy nodded to us in question and I nodded in return, James actually providing answer of 'yeah'. The longer haired male spotted me and smiled, taking my hand in his and lightly kissing my knuckles. "Sirius Black, and, what is your name?"

"(Y/n), uhm, (Y/n) Spencer-Moon." The two boys shared a look before staring back at me as I glanced between them. "What?"

"Spencer-Moon, as in the old Minister of Magic?" I shrugged, not really knowing what my mother or father did for a living, and not really having an interest in it, although Sirius did seem to have an interest. The boys shrugged just as two others walked in and the train began moving.

"Can we join you? no other compartments are empty..." The three of us nodded and the two sat down, one I immediately recognised as Remus. "I-uh-I'm Peter P-Pettigrew by the way."

"Sirius Black."

"James, Potter."

"(Y/n) Spencer-Moon, it's a pleasure, Peter." I smiled to the boy and he shifted in his seat beside Sirius.

"Oh, I'm Remus...Remus Lupin." The group of us smiled at him and that's when I realised I wanted a new start to our friendship, so I held my hand out to him, which he hesitantly took and shook.

"It's lovely to meet you. Could I perhaps call you Moony?" His eyes widened ever so slightly and a small smile crossed his lips before he nodded with a chuckle.

"If you'd like, but why?" I smiled timidly, retreating in my seat beside James. 

"Well, Lupin means wolf, and wolves tend to relate to the moon." Remus stared at me in horror, scared to pieces I would out him. "I'm quite fond of Latin, lupine is Latin, it comes from lupus, meaning wolf." The four boys stared at me in amusement and curiosity. James' arm was flung around my shoulder.

"I like you." He stated a matter of a fact, like he was pleased and planning something devious. "I think we're gonna be fast friends, (Y/n)." I smiled softly and nodded in agreement with the boy.

"So what house is everyone hoping to get sorted into?" Sirius asked, filling our heads with what houses we knew. "Personally, I'm hoping for anything but Slytherin, maybe Gryffindor. Whole family are Slytherins." Black...I'd heard that name before. Well, I'd read about it, they were a pureblood family, there were already a few members 'removed' from the family.

"Gryffindor, mum and dad are hoping the same." I smiled at the hope James and his parents shared. Sirius, James and I looked over to Peter.

"I-I'm not sure yet..." He turned to Remus and I smiled at the boy curiously. I already knew he wanted to be in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, but personally I thought he'd suit Hufflepuff more than anything.

"Gryffindor too, I guess. (Y/n), and you?" I bit my lip in thought.

"I'm not really sure...I didn't know anything about Hogwarts until I received my letter.."

"Muggle-born or Half-blood?" I stared at Sirius, his charming smile catching me off-guard.

"O-oh, that I'm also not sure of. You asked about the former minister of magic, what's his name?" The boys all shared a look.

"Leonard? Maybe?" I giggled, hiding behind my hand.

"Then I might be a half-blood. He's my grandfather."

The train pulled into the station by Hogwarts and I sighed, following the crowd with the boys I had shared a compartment with. The five of us shared a carriage, the boys laughing and getting to know each other while I watched the forest surrounding us pass by. Ten minutes later, I felt a nudge on my arm, turning my head a recognising Sirius to be the one sat next to me. He sent me a soft smile.

"You okay, (N/n)?" Already with the nicknames? Wow, perhaps I could become fast and good friends with these boys. I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just nervous to see what house I'll be in." Sirius slung his arm around my shoulder and side hugged me.

"If we get Gryffindor, we'll make sure you get put with us." I smiled gratefully, patting his hand in thanks.

It wasn't long before we were all stood in the main hall, one of the professors calling out names to have us sorted. 

"Sirius Black!" There was a debate between him and the hat, causing me to laugh.
Gryffindor! The hat called out and the pureblood smiled brightly, hopping over to the table a few more names were called. The name Lily Evan's caught my attention and I smiled softly, noticing the admiration in a certain someone's eyes when he looked at her. She was sorted into Gryffindor too. And then so was James...And Peter...And Remus...As the latter stepped down from the stool, he sent me the familiar smile I was used to seeing on his features, that beautiful supportive smile. 

"(Y/n) Spencer-Moon!" I went up and took my seat on the stool, the professor gently setting the sentient fabric onto my head. A sudden thought slipped into my head, something my grandfather always used to say whenever it was winter and my mother stuffed a hat onto my head, or even in the summer when she'd do the same. 'The hat takes requests'. 

"I only know people in Gryffindor, I don't want to be alone, I'm not good at making friends." Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the professor smile softly with an almost unnoticeable nod. You'd be best suited for Hufflepuff, like that Lupin boy... "Please." I whispered, pleading for the hat to sort me into Gryffindor. Very well, Gryffindor! I felt my body relax, whispering a 'thank you' just before the hat was taken from my head. I hurried over to my new friends, taking the seat beside the red headed girl opposite James. 

"I'm Lily, it's nice to meet you."

"(Y/n), you too." The two of us shared bright smiles as the sorting ceremony ended and we could eat.