Belated birthday

A few days after the incident with Remus, after he had been released form the hospital wing, everyone had questions about what had happened to the common room. James had carefully taken me back up to my dorm room, where we found a half awake Marlene. My best friend had lowered me to sit onto my bed, my hands furiously shaking. James had asked if I'd be okay with Marlene while he went to check on the others, all II could have done was nodded as my roommate sat beside me.

My eighteenth birthday had been the day after the full moon, and I had spent it in my room, McGonagall feeling more than happy to give me the day off after what had happened. And I had been sat in my room for as long as Remus had been in the infirmary. Being the gem she his, today Marlene had stayed out of classes with me, so we had spent the day sat on the floor at the ends of our beds, drinking a couple bottles of Fire Whiskey, which probably wasn't a good idea...but it helped me process everything.

"We should probably go to dinner." The red head suggested, pulling herself up from the floor. I shook my head, taking another sip of my bottle. "You're staying up here?" I nodded, hearing her sigh as I looked over to the window, watching the snow begin to fall in mid January."You'll be okay?" I nodded again. "I'll ask one of the house elves to bring you something." I smiled, silently thanking her as she left the room.

Mum and dad...I wonder what they'd say about me and Remus...whether they'd approve or not. My friends were trying to get me to be more girly...I was Fien with it...it's just that they were pressuring me into it...I've been used to jeans and shorts over the past seven years, not dresses or skirts...I can't just be thrown into it like this. I looked over to my wand on my beside table, finally making a decision. I set the bottle down and grabbed my wand, choosing to head to the great hall.

I quietly entered the room clad in jeans and the last jumper of Remus' I had. I went up to the staff table and hesitantly set my wand onto the table in front of Dumbledore.

"Miss Spencer, what do you intend I do with your wand?" I looked down to it before looking up and swallowing thickly.

"Break it." My voice broke slightly and the great hall slowly began to fall silent. "Please, headmaster." Tears welled in my eyes. "Break it."

"(Y/n)..." I shook my head when Professor McGonagall began to speak. "Sweetheart-"

"I can't be a witch." My voice was still quiet and a couple tears slipped from my eyes. "My parents died because the rule is that we can't reveal that we're magical...I don't want to rely on magic anymore..." Tears fell from my eyes as I recalled the night with Remus. "I couldn't defend myself...I could only run...because I didn't have my wand..." I forced a smile, my two teachers sharing a look and refusing to break my wand.

"Your wand is your property, (Y/n)...we are not allowed to break-" before Minnie could finish her sentence, I took the wood from the table, inhale a deep breath, and snapped it. I sniffled.

"I'm done being a witch, Professor...I just want to go home." More tears began to fall. "I need to be with family." McGonagall stood up, taking my broken wand in her hand and rounding the table to stand beside me, walking me out of the great hall, passed my friends. I heard a bench scrape against the stone floor before fast footsteps, and as I turned around, a pair of arms wrapped around my waist and hoisted me up enough for an arm to hook under my ass as they continued to walk, my legs wrapping around their waist with my arms around their shoulders, my face buried into their neck as I cried. They stopped for a moment once we were in the corridor and McGonagall handed them my wand.

"She'll be fine, I promise..." Remus... "She just hasn't had any time to process anything...she's built everything up..." Our teacher nodded with a hum, telling Remus to take me back to the common room.

Instead I found myself sat in his lap, still crying an hour later as he stroked down my hair, leaving gentle kisses wherever he felt every now and then, in the quietest courtyard of the castle, under a very large weeping willow tree.

"Why do you never deal with your emotions...?" I sniffled, quietening down as he spoke. His voice was rather calming.

"Because I don't know how to..." Remus hummed, pressing a kiss to my temple.

"I think sometimes you just need to cry." He chuckled to himself, pulling me into his body a little more, making me straighten up as he stared up at me, causing me to stare down at him. "Release everything, you know?" I nodded, hesitantly resting my chin on his head, moving to bury my face in his sandy hair. "I'm sorry about the other night..." I hummed, my fingers lightly fiddling with the ends of his hair. "The new found trauma probably doesn't help with anything..."

"I watched my parents get stabbed to death...my werewolf boyfriend chasing me in the middle of the night through a castle doesn't compare..." I smiled with a sniffle. "It's more of a bad dream...easily forgettable."

"(N/n), sweetheart..."

"I love you, Remus..." He was quiet for a moment, but then I felt his grip on me tighten as he hugged me, leaning back against the tree to look up to me.

"I love you, too..." A soft, meaningful smile crossed my lips and I pressed them to my boyfriend's in a tender kiss. "You mean everything to me..." A couple more tears slipped form my eyes as I giggled softly. I took his jaw in my hands and kissed him again, making him smile. "Happy belated birthday, love." I laughed again.

"I'm surprised you remembered." Rem just smiled and pulled something out of his robe pocket, handing it to me before cuddling me again. "What is it?"

"Open it." His laugh was heavenly, I really did love the sound. I undid the small black ribbon and handed it to Remus before peeling the lid off.

"Remus..." I whispered, gently taking the silver from the box. It was a necklace with a little crescent moon pendant on it. "Why...?"

"I noticed your dress for the ball...It was moon themed..." I looked for the necklace to him, my eyes meeting his.

"How do you notice these things...?"

"I grew up with you, love, I tend to notice everything now." I hummed, leaning forwards playfully and pecking his lips.

"Thank you, Remmy...It's lovely..." He smiled.

"I did good?" I nodded with a laugh, pecking his lips yet again with a bright but soft smile.

"You did good."

"Do you want to go to bed now?" I nodded as he chuckled, gently taking the necklace from my hands and clipping it around my neck.