Talking to the moon

Tonight was the first full moon of this month. This month was an unlucky one, there were to be two full moons, and this was only the first, leaving the boys to go on their usual 'adventure' while leaving me and Lily to our...usual? things.

Once again I was perched at the window seat in our dorm room, waiting for our four marauders to slip onto the schools grounds. I shifted my attention back to my book as I listened to Lily's soft hums, something she always did as she prepared for school. Maybe I should tell James about that, he may find it endearing. Alice was still fast asleep, text and note books scattered across her bed with an ink pot and quill on her bedside table. I shook my head with a small smile. I quietly closed my book and set it beside my bed before pulling my hair bobble from my hair. I slid it around my wrist and turned to my fiery red haired friend.

"I'm going to look for the boys, I won't be too long." She nodded with a smile, handing me a small charm necklace.

"Be careful." I stared down at the little moon charm on a silver chain, smiling softly as she continued to hum, climbing onto her bed. "And please don't make too much noise when you come back in. You may wake Alice, you know what she's like." I laughed.

"No promises, but I can try."

I quickly but quietly left the tower, heading through parts of the castle before shifting into my animagus form, a fluffy ginger cat - the boys had dubbed me 'Crookshanks' or 'Crook' as a nickname. Like how Sirius was Padfoot but got called Pads. I potted around the corridors before sitting myself at the foot of the Whomping Willow.
I simply shifted back and stared up at the moon as I fiddled with the necklace Lily had handed me.

Why a moon pendant?

I thought to myself, watching the clouds pass by the dark sky, dimly illuminated only by the moon.

Why was it now that Remus decided to tell the boys about our past?

Everything was so peaceful, the pendant fitting between my fingers perfectly as I twirled it. There was a hushed breeze, only slight, brushing softly through the leaves. It was somewhat warm for an autumn night, very peculiar.

Why had Remus distanced himself from me in the first place?

It was a concept I had never quite grasped. That of opposites. Night and day. Light and dark. Bad and good. Black and white. So plain, yet so beautiful.

Perhaps things had just changed...

He'd kissed me, but why? He admitted no feelings, only kissed me after James made some soft assumptions. It'd been the first time I'd ever heard him use that serene tone. James had been calm, relieved, and fairly amazed at how two of his closest friends had hidden their past but continued to bond, starting anew. He seemed so...like he was in love, or wanted what we had...He wanted Lily...They had a deal that if Remus and I were to get together, then she would go on a date with James...Perhaps we could nudge the balance-

Don't be stupid. Say Remus did like you, you'd be messing with his feelings so James could get Lily, that's just silly.

I shook my head with a sigh.

What if I were to-

My thoughts broke as I felt something collapse onto my legs. I looked down from the setting moon and found a fairly naked and freshly scarred Remus Lupin. I sighed and stared at him as he tried to push himself up, offering me a lazy smile.

"Good morning, Moony." I smiled softly as I pulled myself to my feet, opening my little bag (extension charms) and pulled out some clothes for him. I looked elsewhere as I helped him to his feet and he took the clothes, quickly slipping them on. Pants, a sweater, and thankfully some trousers. I turned back to him and noticed him wincing every now and then, his fresh scars still bleeding, paired perfectly with his dishevelled hair. He offered me a lopsided smirk.

"Morning, (N/n)."

"Where are the others?" Remus looked around, unable to find them, and therefore giving me an answer of a shrug. "You're useless."

"I know?" He chuckled. "But hey, don't mess with me." I stared at him, raising an eyebrow and I helped him up the hill to the castle. He rest his head on top of mine as we walked, his voice quiet. "I'm a big boy now and I'm very scary..."

"You're nowhere near scary, Moons, you're the least scary person I know."

He was quiet for a mere moment before firing back, still fairly quiet.

"But I'm a monster, I'm a bloody werewolf-"

"And I'm not going to stop you believing that. Because I know I can't do anything to change your mind once you have an opinion." I laughed a little as we entered the castle. "It's something the others don't understand about you." I looked up to him a little as we made our way to the hospital wing. "Who cares if you're a monster, I feel the safest when I'm around you."