CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN

Nowadays, Lucca faces the difficulty to move on his own.

Not even the presence of Olaf Spring at the staff's table awakes enough curiosity to shake off the stares. Lucca thought, after years of running away from whispers, he would grow bored of them. Ignorance worked splendid for the past two years, he managed to carry himself proudly in the hallways, dismissing any sort of jeering from the rest of the school. He is aware of his history. It hasn't been easy to get along with peers when he has proved to be short-tempered and nerve-wrecking. He isn't popular because he is liked, he is well-known for his past. Still, after five Quidditch victories and standing side by side with the top-class students, Lucca remains as the Freakclaw.

However, that Freakclaw of twelve years old, who got detentions three times a week for missing assignments, is this rebranded Freakclaw, whose reputation morphed from oblivious idiot to attention-seeking whore. Now, the summit he once knew looks unreachable. Not that Lucca cares much about social status (yes, he does care) or what people says behind his back (he never stopped caring), but he admits it's quite lonely when he continues pushing everyone away. Harry, his friends, his teammates. Lucca isn't sure how they continue insisting when it is obvious he doesn't deserve any kind treatment. He is bad. He thinks of hurting other to get his way; the encounter with Malfoy and Romilda's cursed letter are clear examples.

Walking those hallways with his chin up isn't helping the rumours. By his side, Kyle only brings more attention to the issue. And he isn't often there to catch Lucca when he stumbles. Because Kyle isn't Harry, who rushed at the very second Lucca hesitated. Kyle isn't Aurora or Terry, who called him out on his bullshit. But Milan...

Milan is loyal and protective and his family.

Beneath her impeccable appearance, hiding her fragile heart behind her madness, Milan stands firmly next to him, offering a shoulder to cry. She knows, better than anyone else, Lucca is no stronger than a flower in middle winter. He won't last without proper care. High maintained, Francesca used to call him. She did say the words fondly rather than mockingly. Milan has traces of her in her. They both share the nose and the mouth, when she scowls or frowns the shadow of their mother takes over her features. But William is present, too. In the eyes and the round face, the sleek, dark hair and the bony fingers. Milan is the perfect combination of beauty and danger, even with the gloominess present. She reads him like any other magazine, idly, with no effort to push her way into his mind because they are barely a few months apart. They were often confused as twins due the closeness and partnership.

So, Lucca is no surprised Milan sits with him when he feels at the edge of a panic attack. Fear tingles his chest, it comes in rapid paces at random times. His latest dream still echoes in Lucca's memories; tower, falling, white tomb. Dumbledore.

Milan props her chin on the palm of her hand, squinting at his face. "Are you wearing make-up?"

Lucca fights the urge to look at himself in the mirror. He has double-checked in the morning and Terry said it looked natural. The darkness around his eyes is nothing but a mere leftover of his insomnia coming back to settle down.

"That bad?"

"It's not particularly your shade. Come here. Let me help you."

From her school bag, Milan draws a small pouch with make-up supplies. He allows her to remove the bad work in silence. The Ravenclaw common room is fairly empty in the morning, with O.W.Ls and N.E.W.Ts waving across the street, students take most of it to endure their knowledge and hide in the library until their lashes burn.

Milan, to Lucca's concern, has decided to not care much about the exams. After whatever revelation the Grim has showed her, Milan conquered her fear. And by conquering her fear, Lucca means Milan is facing a spiritual awakening of life.