CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

After exploding a cauldron on Umbridge's face, Lucca isn't sure how to start a conversation with her. In the first place, when Lucca woke up that morning, he didn't instantly think 'oh, it's a lovely day to drink tea with my dear Professor Umbridge!' and then go to find her. Oh no. Lucca is doing his best to stay away from her. But if the Educational Decree Number Twenty-four didn't state that all Student Organisations, Societies, Teams, Groups, and Clubs are henceforth disbanded, Lucca wouldn't be sitting there with her, in her hideously pink office — Lucca already thinks Milan's obsession with pink is sick, but Umbridge? She makes Lucca loathe such a pretty colour.

"Mr. Sallow," Umbridge finally breaks the tense silence. "Shall I be intrigued by the motive of your visit so early in the morning?"

She softly hits her tea cup three times with her spoon, reorganises her small pile of pink pachments and folds her hands over her desk. There is something twisted and evil in the way she smiles sweetly at him, expecting him to talk.

"I wanted to formally apologise for the Potions accident," Lucca begins, trying to sound sincere and sorry. Umbridge nods. "I had been thinking about how irresponsible I was. If I hadn't come sooner, I also apologise for it. I was too ashamed to look you in the eye, Professor Umbridge."

Umbridge nods, again, and her lips curve an ever bigger fake-sweet grin.

"Your situation is completely understandable. The first day I came here, I was informed about your case," Umbridge says, leaning back on her chair. "I, too, happen to be good friends with Pandora Sallow. Our jobs at the Ministry force us to maintain contact. We don't chat about work all the time."

"I wasn't aware you were close."

"It is not for you to know. And I should wish you to please maintain this between us. Other students' reaction will not be welcoming if they are aware of our connection."

Lucca nods. He is too aware of his body now. His skin itches and his hands are sweating.

"It was a clear mistake of mine to distract you," Umbridge returns to the first topic. "Hence, we can agree your lack of focus can be quite dangerous."

Lucca frowns. He doesn't understand what Umbridge is trying to say.

"Professor Flitwick told me to consider your past before judging you here, as a student. And it has come to my interest what your school record is like," and to Lucca's surprise, Umbridge summons a file from one of her drawers. "I read it thoroughly. Too many detentions, too many 'P's and 'T's and very few 'A's."

Lucca shifts in his chair. Umbridge notes this and looks at him.

"I am not here to judge you, Mr. Sallow. I want to understand how it is possible that you, with your limitations and poor health, are capable of passing all your practical exams with 'E's and 'O's when there is no evidence of proper school work."

Umbridge suspects it was Lucca's idea. He can tell from the way she is staring at him, as if he is a puzzle incapable of solving.

"Last minute study?"

"You don't sound sure, dear."

The truth is complicated. Lucca has no clue how he came so far in school. His memories, restored and untouched, aren't completely clear for him to understand what happened between his first and third year at Hogwarts. It's mixed with his past life. He can grasp vague details to tell the memories apart but it isn't enough. And lately, with the Quidditch fiasco, Zacharias Smith's mockery and Umbridge's questions in Potions, Lucca's dream to be normal is vanishing sooner than he had hoped.

When he first was told about the possibility of breaking the curse, Lucca thought lots of what-ifs about himself. Because with this big cloud in his head, he couldn't understand himself to know what he is like. He was a total stranger every day he woke up, wearing a skin that doesn't feel quite right. Back then, Lucca dreamed about who he is without a curse. Maybe, without the curse, he would be smarter, more responsible, a better brother, a good friend, a proper son. Lucca would be the perfect heir to carry his last name. When people heard his name, they wouldn't think of the Freakclaw but the legacy his family has left.