CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE

In the following days Alexis explains to him how they are going to work with her going back to college.They arrange a date and a portkey for Cedric and Venice, Kyle asks if he should deliver the books he found in his grandmother's laboratory but Lucca says he should keep those.

"It used to belong to her," he says, knowing deep down that is the answer Kyle wants to hear. "Just. Send a resume of Horcruxes."

Kyle nods, a shy smile tugs on the corner of his lips, and by the third week of August the three of them sort a plan before presenting it to Bellamy and Nolan. The following day, Nolan and Bellamy contact Lucca through a mirror-call. Lucca's meeting with Nolan goes way better now the engagement is off, he presents himself as a friendly and cooperative wizard, and even jokes around. Bellamy, on the other hand, seems discontented Alexis wasted a good candidate but doesn't ask unnecessary questions. Lucca explains he saw some French names on the evidence Rita gathered, Nolan says he will present it to Madam Ferreira and from there, they will see how they will move.

"It'd be for the better if you come here with the file," says Nolan. "My mother would appreciate it more."

Lucca thinks about letting Venice and Cedric stay with him unless they'd want to return to their homes.

"We can arrange a meeting," Lucca agrees. "By next month, if possible."

Nolan doesn't promise a quick answer from her but there is hope they are going somewhere. If Pandora was wanted before, with her miscalculation, then there is no doubt the missing people and her underground work will make the French Ministry look at them with interest.

"You're just giving more reasons for the French to despise the Britons," Kyle says as a joke.

"None ever liked the British, not there, not anywhere else," Lucca replies.

"I don't like us and I am British."

"Lucky me, then."

The Ghost of Kim JiSoo says she was very shallow as a youngster and she, as well as her good friend Monty, shared a passion for potion brewing. She tells Lucca about her dream to create a line of lasting make-up products when he investigates her old potion's lab. He has found various body transfiguration books, among expired potion ingredients, rusty cauldrons and samples of products she copied. In her old bedroom, she shows him more books about beauty and body care hidden in her secret library, which is a curtain covering a wall full of shelves.

Lucca reads the titles briefly, taking out those that might help him to conceal his features, and practices in the mirror of the bathroom for hours before he is ready to face his father.

On the night of the third of September, Lucca appears outside Upper Flagley with a smaller nose, square jaw and dirty blonde hair. Blonde definitely doesn't suit him at all. He tried to grow a beard but after the fifth attempt he gave up and changed his eyes. He wears an old shaggy travel cloak on his shoulders. Hood on and wand secured on his wand holder, Lucca walks a few minutes to the entrance of the village. He is not surprised to find a group of Snatchers lurking outside, there are five of them and as Lucca approaches. At first sight, they don't seem dangerous, but he is hesitant to look at them too much. He casts a simple delusion charm over himself and carries on, entering the village without trouble.

Last time he visited the wizarding village was in the summer before third year, when Aurora insisted on coming to the summer book fair. In the depth of the night, it's a scary place. Houses are dark, curtains shut, various shadows move in the streets and some buildings seem to be abandoned. Back then, Upper Flagley was popular for it, summers filled with tons of families visiting the market, the fair and the local shops. It was the first day his mother allowed him to go alone with his friends, trusting Aurora to know what to do if anything happened. Luckily, until today, Lucca recalls that afternoon filled with laughter and memorable anecdotes, Padma took her first camera with her and snapped pictures all day. Lucca still has his own copies in a box inside his trunk, which makes him think he should talk to his friends as soon as possible.