CHAPTER SEVENTY

HARRY

Harry isn't ignorant to assume that the Bonfire is similar to Guy Fawkes Night. Not that those things have to be related but Harry imagined something similar since it's the first time he attends a Bonfire. However, the more Lucca explains the celebration the less Harry understands it.

"Why is it called Harvest Season if we're celebrating Spring Day?" Harry asks. "I thought Harvest was around Fall..."

Lucca sighs. "Because it's not Harvest Season but the beginning of it, the very, very beginning. Seeds take root, flowers bloom, animals come out of their hibernation, vegetation grows," he pauses to spread the wrap paper on the floor and kneels, instructing Harry to do the same. "Besides, it's a lot of festivities combined; Guaraní people celebrate their new year, students commemorate Sarmiento, the Muggle Father of Classrooms, and the start of Spring."

"Right. And what are we doing here, exactly?"

Lucca bends to pull a box beneath his bed. "Wrapping presents. The big box is for Milan. The smaller one is for my Abuelita."

"Nora's birthday is close?" Harry wonders if he should buy her something. Maybe that'll prove to the woman he is grateful for letting him stay with them. "When is it? I can buy the cake. This morning Daniel sent me to the bakery to practise my Spanish and he seemed proud that I bought enough facturas for the Merienda."

"It's not her birthday," Lucca chuckles cutely. "Is that why you weren't here when I woke up?"

"Yeah."

Harry doesn't tell Lucca he's been awake the whole night due his nightmares. He prefers to not worry him much. But Daniel caught Harry in the kitchen at six in the morning and saw through his bullshit. After a very confusing conversation which Harry doesn't remember, Daniel wrote a note and sent him to the village to clear his head. It helped, in a way, because Harry felt useful for once. And he could gather his thoughts and put them in order. He reckons he needs to write a letter to Hermione and Celia, just to tell them he is alright and with Lucca and nothing bad happened to him. But he has to find the energy to do so. Right now, Harry feels rather empty and numb, and if it weren't for Lucca's brightness, he would be buried in blankets and pillows, hating himself even more.

"And why are you giving her a present if it's not her birthday?"

"Well, Spring is also the time to shear the cattle to make yarn," Lucca says. "Most women in communities are in charge of knitting and my abuelita has Tehuelche ancestry, so every Spring Day we buy her supplies. It's a way the wisdom of the elderly women is honoured."

"She seems pretty wise." Harry says because what the fuck is he supposed to add? Harry is barely familiar with the woman and her history, and he doesn't want to be kicked out or skinned alive. "Let me help you so we can leave sooner."

Lucca offers a kind smile and together they wrap both presents without tearing each other's heads off. Lucca's perfectionism touches Harry's nerves. He has the urge to shove the scissors down his throat to shut him up only to realise it's been a while since they bickered like that. Lucca seems to notice the same thing when Daniel pauses outside the bedroom and catches Lucca swinging the wrap paper over Harry's head. He doesn't say anything, like most of the time he finds them doing something weird, but Lucca is frozen on the spot before both start cackling at how ridiculous the situation is.

Then, when they clean up the wasted paper, Lucca grabs Milan's parcel and goes down the kitchen to inform Nora they're leaving early. Nora waves them off, too busy in a firecall to actually listen, and Daniel slips a few bills in Lucca's pocket before waving them goodbye.