CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX

FIRST INTERLUDE;

THE DAY THE SUN FALLS IN LOVE,

 THE MOON SHINES

CEDRIC DIGGORY

On their first year anniversary Cedric gifted Milan a necklace with the sun.

"You said you want to be the sun," he said coyly. "You are my sun."

Milan, often correct and with her guard up, faltered and retreated. Cedric didn't take offence because it was easy to understand Milan was scared how he knew she wished to become the sun. Or how he understood what she meant when she whispered that secret.

"Because you can't ignore the sun," she said.

Taking part in a constellation with other stars wasn't as fascinating as having the planets spinning in its orbit restlessly. A system so perfect that her existence would be necessary and unforgettable, even with little eclipses of attention diverting from her, brightness would rise once again. To be burned by the sun must sound terrifying by others but Cedric found it exciting. Having the sun's whole attention until scars erupt on the surface of his skin.

Cedric wasn't afraid to be burned by Milan.

The world would know he belongs to her.

He wouldn't mind exposing his feelings when the result is Milan's smile. Dazzling gleam, surrounded by dangerous assumptions and more dangerous consequences. Milan often thought she had to change, morph herself into a new persona to be liked, adored and in consequence she allowed too many eclipses to happen.

Must be part of the trouble, Cedric thought. Middle child, perfect daughter, with no issues in between. She was looked over from time to time, rewarded with a satisfied smile that she wasn't causing any issue like her siblings.

Cedric saw the rage in her eyes. Mistaken by kindness and softness, Milan's gaze burned whenever something was out of her control. She learned from a young age to school her reactions but Cedric had seen past the brightness and focused on the real feeling hidden beneath that mask of perfectness.

Milan, as a middle child, craved attention when things took the wrong turn. And Cedric found that fascinating because he was wrapped in her orbit even before she knew another planet joined the system to admire her. Milan thought of herself as another planet, chasing after the sun, and oblivious to the moons she attracted.

Moons that got stuck in her, driven by her force field and restrained without experiencing more than a single look or sincere smile.

Cedric wasn't any other moon. He grew, rotated until she found him, and the things changed. Cedric became a planet wrapped in the sun's warmth.

But before that happened, Cedric saw her when no one else could.

Milan wasn't a girl people tended to ignore. Her beauty was remarkable in the memory of mortals, confused by an angel in the most lucid moments before a strike took them away from her. They saw her as something to possess, ignoring the fact Milan was too lethal for a fourteen years old girl. It was one test that marked the end from the beginning, an earthquake that shook her for moments, creating a tsunami so big it invaded her coasts and made her burst in tears. Stormy skies taking over her clear nights.