CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Fifth year is slowly draining his whole energy. Lucca pays attention to his lessons, does his homework, practises his magic, plans strategies and when the day is over, with Aurora they sneak out at night to the Quidditch pitch to find out what position Lucca should play for the rest of his captaincy.

The first week passes by and Lucca can barely stand up without feeling he will faint. So after his lessons on Friday, Lucca goes to Madam Pomfrey, staying for tea and then picking a Dreamless Potion for himself. He can't resist not drinking it after dinner but it's the first time he has a whole night of sleep.

"Terry said you missed dinner because you were sleeping," says Milan while they walk to the Owlery the following morning. "And he said something about late night Quidditch with Aurora?"

"Ah, yes. Today are the try-outs," says Lucca. "Aurora helped me to find what position suits me the best."

"And?"

Lucca smiles, pleased with himself. "Aurora says I could be a Seeker."

"But...?"

"But she discovered I memorised all her moves, so she said I could use my speed to be a Keeper because it's a more demanding job."

Milan smiles, bumping her shoulder with his. "You sly genius, Cedric has no idea what is coming his way."

Lucca blushes, a bit embarrassed. Now he has been training with Aurora and regaining his confidence, he feels better than at the beginning of the week. He is nervous about who will show up to the try-outs but his friends said they will be there, and he hopes Aurora secretly wants to be part of the team.

"I talked to Harry yesterday, he asked about you."

"What?!"

Milan puts her lips together, whistling. A tawny owl lands on her shoulder, hooting happily and nudging Milan's cheek with her beak. "Hello, PepperMint. I've something for you. This is for Venice, she's my sister."

The owl hoots again and Milan smiles sweetly.

"Yes, it's her birthday. How smart owl you are," Lucca laughs quietly, not believing the interaction and watches how Milan attaches the parcel on the owl's leg. "Good flight, stay safe. Bye bye!"

Lucca leans over the windowsill, his eyes focusing on the bright sky. Milan copies him, her eyes a bit teary. Lucca hugs her by her shoulders, knowing all too well how much she misses her old friend, Italia.

"This is good weather to be outside," says Lucca to Milan, trying to cheer her up.

"Yeah, I think I will finish my homework or read a book by the lake. Joseph probably felt a bit lonely with the rain not letting us visit him."

"Who is Joseph?" he asks. But before she can answer, Lucca sees someone else entering the Owlery and a big smile spreads in his face. "Harry!"

The other boy startles and when he sees Lucca and Milan are the only ones there, lets out a sigh of relief.

"Hi Harry," Milan smiles. "Do you still need help with your Potions essay?"

Harry shakes his head. "No, you already helped enough. Thanks, by the way, you didn't have to."

Milan shrugs, walking past Harry and ruffling his hair. "It's nothing, Harry. I'm here to help," she says. "If you need help with your work, just come and find me. I'll be by the lake."

Lucca watches their interaction with a weird pain in his stomach. Since when Milan and Harry are close? And when did Harry ask Milan for help? Does Harry still like her? Is that the reason why he became friends with Lucca? No. It can't be.