CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN

"You should totally go on a date with her."

Lucca tears his eyes from Mailen strutting down the hallway and looks at Sol. She is chewing magical bubble gum which explodes and the tiniest fireworks spark in a heart shape. Sol grins, the little shit, irradiating the mischievous light when an idea crosses her mind. And her ideas are hardly good. Mind, Sol is a brute disguised as a buffoon.

"She's pretty. And totally into you."

His cousin nudges his side repeatedly. Her head jerks in the most concerning ways, apparently, pointing in the direction of their classmate, Mailen, who came to collect the money for the Bonfire celebrations. Lucca doesn't deny she is pretty because he has promised himself to not lie anymore. But Mailen isn't interested in boys or girls unless it involves bossing around and collecting money for one thing or another. As the class president, she was in charge of introducing Lucca in Ductuscae, and these days, now that Lucca has made himself comfortable in the school; she considers them friends. Yet, her hands are full with duties; the end of the year is approaching and there are too many things to take care of as Eight Years.

"I'm not interested," he simply says and goes back into the classroom, dropping the juice box and apple on his desk.

Sol sits down with the grace of a mountain troll next to him. Her bubblegum sent more fireworks into sad faces. "You are never interested in anyone." She pouts. "Half of these girls are willing to have sex with you and you keep turning them down."

Lucca wonders, when he analyses Sol's careless behaviour, if he would have come out this way if the pureblood culture hasn't penetrated deep into his subconscious. He watches as his cousin toes off her shoes and flexes her feet, sighing in relief when the cold ground reaches through her socks. Lucca had never seen someone at Hogwarts do such a thing. But, he remembers sourly, Ductuscae and Hogwarts are million years apart.

"Or maybe you're interested in everyone."

Sayen, one of Sol's closest friends, joins the conversation. She makes herself comfortable in the desk in front of them, her Spanish cards secured between her red painted nails. She smiles at Lucca, brown eyes twinkling with amusement, and shuffles the deck.

"We do have interesting classmates," Sol twirls a strand of her hair around her finger, her feet resting on a chair she summoned with magic. "And I believe sex heals depression."

At that, Sol looks directly at him and Sayen snorts.

"I can find my own dates, thank you."

Sol's eyebrows go up, amused. "Can you?"

Lucca choses to stab the straw on his juice box rather than a knife on his cousin. It's all Miss Costa's fault. She has taken in consideration his feelings, he, being transferred midterm in his last year, must be in the same classes as his cousin. Mind, Lucca was willing to study at home with his Aunt Fiona to sit for his exams and graduate school but Abuelita Nora cried desperately he would be falling into a depressive episode if he stayed too much inside.

Now, Lucca doesn't hate Sol. She just happens to be a little shit and Lucca has lost any trace of patience in the last years. Besides, her company isn't that bad. She could have ignored him and left him on his devices. But Sol, the brute, is kind hearted in a Hufflepuff manner. She has introduced Lucca to her group of friends, helped him with his assignments until Lucca could hold onto the routine, and made him company when he feels like dying.

"Why do you want to set me up with someone so suddenly?"

"Because you are a sad man and that scares the ladies, my ladies."