CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

There is a sudden change between them after Valentine's Day. Everyone seems to notice it; from the way they are a bit more protective with each other, to the subtle way they are always touching, reassuring their presence. Their relationship, without even trying, has taken a more serious turn. There is an unbreakable blind trust, an ease in reading the other and more confidence when they are alone together.

Knowing Milan wants him to end Felicia's business, Lucca tells her what happened during Valentine's Day. She is understanding, accepting that it is not just about the ring but Lucca's happiness, too.

"I've been selfish," she admits. "And unfair. I blamed you for something that is not even your fault — I'm sorry, Lu. I'll help you with Felicia."

"You're worried about Cedric."

"Lucca... It's not just Cedric who can die," Milan mumbles, glancing down at her own hands. "It could be any of us. The Grim just has to take someone to replace Cedric's absence in the afterlife..."

Pushing his conversation with Millan to the back of his mind, Lucca focuses on Harry.

Harry is stressed over the next match against Hufflepuff. If Gryffindor loses, Ravenclaw comes in second place in the tournament, Lucca only needs to defeat Slytherin to assure a position for the cup. And then, Ravenclaws will become the champions of the Inter-House Tournament under his captaincy.

"Ron is a good keeper only when people aren't looking at him," says Harry, loyal to his best friend.

"If people aren't looking at him, how do you know he is a good keeper?" Lucca says.

"He gets nervous."

"Lucca, you are a keeper," says Hermione, looking up from her book. "Help Ron with his problem?"

"I would like to," Lucca says while folding another origami crane, "but I've already revealed my tricks, he didn't know how to use them. Besides, he's the enemy."

"The enemy?" Hermione scoffs. "It's a stupid game. You can't let the House rivalry get into you."

"Quidditch isn't a stupid game. And Ron doesn't need help," defends Harry.

"You're right," Lucca agrees. "He needs a miracle."

Harry doesn't find his comment funny at all, he kicks him under the table and refuses to kiss him for the rest of the day. But even if Harry is upset, he can't deny Gryffindor has the worst team ever and Ron is beyond hope.

The morning of the game Lucca can't believe what his eyes see. Even Aurora, who never feels bad for anyone, cringes and claims it's humiliating to watch the match. Lucca cries the whole time he is watching Ron try to catch the quaffles, and is just sad, the Slytherins chanting, the Hufflepuff cheering and the Gryffindor trying to hide from the shame.

At the end, Hufflepuff practically beats Gryffindor, and loses by ten points when Ginny catches the snitch faster than Cedric.

On Monday morning, Lucca receives a copy of The Quibbler, followed by a letter from his mother telling him how proud she is for Harry, adding some homemade biscuits, decorated in red and yellow for him.

"What is going on?" says Aurora from her seat, peeping over the owls that keep dropping letters at the Gryffindor table.

"This," Luna hands her the interview. "Daddy finally published his interview."