Chapter 11: Kaden

I guide the others out of the tower and towards the garage. I punch in the code and the high power door slides up. Sitting inside the garage is my truck. It is an old shield truck used at the same base that loki first appeared. It used to be dark blue (shield issued) with silver shield logos covering it, but I decided to paint it black to help it blend in a bit more.

I watch as the others throw their few belongings in the back, along with my many belongings and our supplies. I hop into the drivers seat.

"Shotgun!" Yells Olivia.

"Damn it!" Tye exclaims.

"Where? Where is it?" Patrick panics "I see an AK-47 on the wall over there! But I can't find a shotgun!"

We all look at each other trying not to laugh. But Tye can't hold it in. He collapses on the floor laughing. We all join in, except for Patrick who just seems very confused by the whole situation.

"It's just a saying!" Laughs Olivia "it's what someone says if they want to sit in the passengers seat of the car."

"I don't understand." Patrick says "why would you not just say 'I want to sit in the passengers seat of the car.' Would that not be much simpler?

"Maybe..." Tye says, unsure of his response.

"But..." Olivia starts "its a lot more fun this way!"

"I guess it is..." Patrick says slowly "shotgun!"

"Nope" I say "you're too late! Olivia already called it!"

"Oh...okay! Maybe next time!" Patrick exclaims, hopping into the back seat of the truck. The others follow in.

"Yeah..." I say "but Olivia is unbeatable! She always gets shotgun!" Olivia pretends to brush her shoulders off. We all laugh. "So... Have fun with getting shotgun! Oh! And I don't really think we need to bring up what she did to the one guy who beat her to it!"

"Tell him!" Says Tye enthusiastically.

"Fine!" I say, Pulling out of the garage and into the street. "She charged him up with so much static electricity that his long hair stood straight up for a month! And! He shocked anyone who he touched!" Every one bursts out laughing again. "It was priceless! I am so going to bring her to school next week for April fools day!" Suddenly the car goes silent. Right...we won't be going back to school...possibly ever. Well...that just took a dark turn.

I look back at stark tower in my review mirror. I sigh as it becomes smaller and smaller, until it is just a thin line in the distance. That's when I realize that I wont see my family for a long, long time. And when I do, they probably won't even want to see me. If I leave now, I lose everything. A tear runs down my cheek. I wipe it away quickly hoping that no one noticed it. But sure enough, Olivia did.

"What's wrong?" She says compassionately.

"It's just... If I go now, what will dad and mom think of me? They'll hate me!" I cry.

"No. Your parents love you unconditionally... You're lucky... Mine will take away my powers if I ever return. Then they will banish me as they did my father." She says sadly.

"Don't worry. I beat my dad unconscious in our basement to get here! He is going to disown me!" Tye explains.

"Um... I feel kinda awkward here... My dad is the reason for all of this happening... So... Yeah! Awkward!" Patrick laughs. We all laugh along.

"So we're all together on this? No backing out?" I ask.

"No backing out!" Olivia shouts.

I slam my foot down on the gas and we drive out to the base.