Chapter 26: Patrick

I stare at her body in pure horror. Kaden and Tye are furiously doing CPR and giving her shocks from the defibrillator.

It has been four minutes and she is still unresponsive. I glance over at the monitor that we hooked up to her just before she went into cardiac arrest. Where the green line at the top of the screen and the slow beeping noise used to be steady and natural, there is now a flat line and a continuous ringing noise. It is a noise that seems to go on forever and i am beginning to think it will never stop.

I take her hand and squeeze it tight, tears pouring off my cheeks. I release for a moment as sammi shouts "clear!"

I know that Olivia is the one in who's heart isn't working here, but i feel like something's wrong with mine too...

I see Olivia's body jolt as the electricity ripples through her body. Yet it does nothing for her. The line on the monitor remains flat and the beep remains an endless ringing sound.

If this doesn't finish soon I'm going to go out of my mind! I can't just so here watching her lay on the floor, dead.

Then i realize why the defibrillator doesn't work on her. She is the goddess of thunder and light ing. Her body is used to being hit by low levels of electricity, this defibrillator is producing about as much electricity inside her as she has radiating around her all day.

I scan the room, looking for something that could produce a stronger amount of electricity. That's when I see it. Her hammer. It could cause enough electricity to strike that we could power the entire earth for centuries with just one blast.

The only problem is, no one can lift it except for those worthy of the power... Ugh! Freaking Asgardian weapons! So complicated! Only the worthy people can use our weapons!

Ignoring everything i just realized about having to be worthy to carry Olivia's weapon, i walk over to it. I slowly crouch down next to it and look at it. It is sitting on the floor beside the table.

On the table still sits the cake. One of the candles is still burning. It is almost melted and the wick is almost burnt out. I lean over it and close my eyes. I make a silent wish to myself that i can be worthy and save Olivia.

I take a deep breath and blow out the last candle. It flickers slightly then goes out, leaving only a thin line of smoke in its place.

I bend back down and place my hands on the leather bound handle of the hammer. I take a deep breath as i wrap my fingers around the handle, holding it tightly. I hold my breath in and close my eyes. I slowly release my breath.

Then, i pull up. With me comes the hammer. It feels light and heavy at the same time. I don't really know how my mind comprehends it. Everything that it is, it is also the opposite. It's touch is warm but also cool. It is beautiful and terrifying. Protecting and dangerous. This hammer is just one paradox after another. No wonder only the worthy can hold it... Huh... I guess I'm worthy then... Cool...

I snap back into reality at the sound of another shock going off from the defibrillator in Kaden's hands.

"It's not working!" Kaden shouts. "She's gone! She's been dead for six minutes already, we've shocked her at least 15 times and still theirs no responsiveness... She gone."

"No! Wait!" I shout holding up her hammer.

"How did you pick that up?" Tye shouts in shock.

"I guess im worthy!" I exclaim.

"Well what are you doing with it?" Kaden asks.

"She is the goddess of thunder and lighting. Your midgaurdian forms of shocking people do nothing to her, even at its highest power, it does nothing to her. She is immune to small amounts of electricity. We need to use her hammer-" i spin the hammer around in my hand" -to shock her with more power. Then maybe we can restart her heart."