Chapter 4: Solitude

zuku stood silently in his supervisor's office as the portly older man looked over the transfer request form on his desk.

"Are you sure there is no way I can convince you to reconsider?" The man said in a disappointed tone as he smoothed out a wrinkle in his suit. "If you cannot get along with her I doubt anyone else will."

Izuku sighed and shook his head. "Sir, I tried my best, but there are some people who will never change. She is stubborn, opinionated, and arrogant to the extreme. The last time I interacted with her I nearly ended up punching her in the face." He said honestly.

Izuku's boss nodded morosely and leaned back in his office chair slightly, his bald head glinting slightly in the light. "Well I am certainly not going to force my best agent to work with someone like that. Consider your transfer request approved. I will have a new posting for you in a few days."

"Umm...sir?" Izuku said cautiously. "In my opinion I think the hero liaison project is simply not for me. To put it bluntly...I have never been a fan of heroes in the first place. I know it is selfish, but I was hoping I could be assigned to a different project."

Izuku watched nervously as his boss arched an eyebrow curiously and rested his elbows on his wooden desk. "I see. Are you sure you want a transfer to a new project?" The man said inquisitively. "There are agents in your department that would love to work directly with some popular pro-heroes like you are."

Izuku nodded. Let someone else have the "pleasure" of working with Miruko.

The portly man huffed in amusement and idly shifted Izuku's transfer form around on the desk with his fingers. "The best I could do is transfer you to one of the logistics and analysis teams. You are one of my best agents and I need people with experience on this project."

The young agent tried not to appear too eager as he nodded in agreement. He would take working long hours at a desk if it meant getting as far away from Miruko as possible.

Izuku's boss straightened his generic office clothes and nodded understandingly. "Alright you have a deal. The analysts could use a little bit of guidance anyways."

With the conversation over, Izuku nodded gratefully and quickly left before his boss could change his mind.

-------------------------------------------

Rumi sighed in annoyance as she sat on her apartment couch while Miss Sasaki paced in front of her and continued her lecture.

Apparently Midoriya had thrown in the towel, as Miss Sasaki had gotten an email from the Ministry of Defense informing her that a new liaison was going to be assigned to Rumi.

Good riddance. The guy might have been cute, but there was no way Rumi was going to work with a wimp like him.

Just as she had been about to go out on patrol, Rumi was stopped by a seething Miss Sasaki and forced to listen to a long-winded lecture like some kind of rebellious teenager being scolded by their strict parents.

"I swear you are going to be the death of me Rumi!" Miss Sasaki said uncharacteristically loudly as she straightened a wrinkle in her business clothes. "Do you have any idea how much effort I put into making sure you were assigned a good liaison?! After all my work, you go and piss it all away just because you are too proud to accept any kind of help!"

Rumi opened her mouth to reply but was stopped as Miss Sasaki glared at her with eyes that could turn a Nomu into ash and pointed a stern finger at her.

"I kept quiet all these years because it was not necessary for you to work with anyone. God knows you put in enough work for it to stay that way. But I cannot stay silent any longer. This attitude of yours is going to be your downfall, or were you not satisfied with just losing an arm?"