Chapter 8: Fading Hope

Rumi groaned as she tried to pull her blankets over her head.

Goddamn she felt like shit.

Pawing at the paper thin blanket, Rumi frowned at the unfamiliar texture. She didn't remember changing her bed's blankets recently.

Through the haze that shrouded her brain Rumi finally realized something was wrong.

In fact, the last thing she remembered was being dragged away by some red-eyed monster!

Her eyes flying open, Rumi heaved in panicked breaths as she tried to get her muddled brain to work properly and figure out where she was. Looking around, Rumi was confused to see what looked like a generic hospital room, complete with beeping machines and a small window that offered a nice view of a parking lot.

Forcing herself to calm down, Rumi looked down and prepared herself for the worst.

Much to her relief, all her limbs and appendages were still intact.

Well, mostly. Her bionic arm was missing.

"Okay, not a big deal." Rumi mumbled to herself as she stared at the stump of her left arm. "I'm in a hospital, they probably took it off. Yeah, that has to be it."

Nodding to reassure herself, Rumi looked around to see if there was some way to get somebody's attention.

She might be a nuisance to most people, but she was not going to make some poor doctor shit themselves by screaming for help.

Running her hand over the side of her bed, Rumi felt some kind of large button embedded on the plastic edge. Peeking over, Rumi's suspicion was confirmed as she saw the button was bright red and labelled "CALL" in big bold letters.

Pressing the button, Rumi waited for someone to arrive.

After waiting for what felt like five minutes, Rumi pressed the button again with a little more force.

Hey, nobody said she was good at being patient.

Right as she was about to press the button again, a female nurse wearing blue scrubs and a surgical mask opened the door to the room and stepped inside.

"Good afternoon Miruko." The nurse said politely. "How are you feeling?"

Rumi shrugged. "Okay I guess. Feeling sore all over, but nothing I can't handle."

The nurse nodded and opened the door to leave. "Good, I will send your doctor over right away. I am sure they have many things they want to ask you."

Rumi let out a grunt of acknowledgement as the nurse left and closed the door. Thinking about it, the doctor most likely wanted to ask about the quirk-killing bullet.

Frowning, Rumi clenched her good hand experimentally. While she certainly felt better, something still felt off. The weakness was hard to describe, like a mix of early morning sluggishness and post-workout exhaustion.

In any case, hopefully the doctor had some answers. Because she sure as hell didn't.

A few agonizingly boring minutes later, a bald male doctor with walrus-like tusks entered Rumi's room with an electronic tablet in hand.

"Hello Miruko." The doctor said in a deep voice. "I will be honest, it has been awhile since I have taken care of such a high-profile patient. Anyways, that is besides the point."

Scrolling through the contents displayed on his tablet, the doctor furrowed his brow as he talked. "That bullet we removed from your leg was certainly...different. I was only able to study it a little bit before agents from the Ministry of Defence confiscated it."