Chapter 49: Darkness and Light

Rumi frowned as she sat on her apartment couch holding a small vial of dark blue liquid in her metal hand. True to Oscar's word, the supposed miracle drug had been in lab C of the black site. Honestly the entire mission had been a cakewalk, which made Rumi even more suspicious of Oscar's intentions. It had been easy to knock out the local power grid at night and then simply make her way inside with brute force. Of course she had not worn her hero outfit, opting instead to wear baggy clothes and a cheap halloween mask as a disguise. To cover her tracks, the rabbit hero had trashed several labs and freed almost a dozen animals being experimented on. With any luck, the Ministry of Defense would simply write it off as an attack by one of the many international eco-terrorist groups.

Now here she was, waiting in her apartment for Oscar to show up and collect his hard drive. The hard drive was the size of a brick and almost weighed as much, and several times Rumi had been tempted to simply destroy it and tell Oscar to go fuck himself. However, doing that would only make more problems for her, and at this point Rumi simply wanted to never talk to the creepy American again.

As the nearby digital clock beeped to announce it was three in the morning, there was a polite knock on Rumi's door. Standing up and putting the vial in her pocket, Rumi went over to the door and peered out the tiny spyhole to make sure it was not an unexpected visitor. Truthfully, Rumi could already smell that disgusting aroma that clung to Oscar from the couch, but it never hurt to be careful. As expected, Oscar stood patiently in the hallway. But as soon as Rumi laid eyes on the American, Oscar somehow seemed to sense her presence and gave a friendly wave.

Her frown deepening, Rumi opened the apartment door and immediately shoved the hard drive into Oscar's hands.

"There, we are even. Now fuck off." She said with undisguised hostility.

Deftly catching the hard drive, Oscar gave Rumi a mock offended look. "Is that really how you treat a guest? You are not even going to invite me in for tea?"

Her patience already running out, Rumi gave Oscar a cold look. "Not for you. Stop messing around and leave before I throw you out the window."

Peeking over Rumi's shoulder, Oscar smiled cheekily as he inspected the dark apartment. "Aww, is your little love nest feeling empty without Mister Mido? How long have you guys been living together?"

Okay, now that was definitely crossing the line.

Stepping into the hallway and slamming the apartment door closed behind her, Rumi snarled and roughly poked Oscar in the chest. "You better watch your mouth Oscar. I have no problem breaking your legs right now if you want to keep talking shit. Or are you threatening to blackmail me? Because if that is so then I will be more than happy to make sure you eat through a straw for the rest of your life."

For once, Oscar seemed surprised. Blinking several times, Oscar curiously rubbed the spot on his chest where Rumi had poked him.

"Huh...you got stronger..." The American said quietly. "Interesting..."

Sensing that for once Oscar was caught off guard, Rumi decided to pay Oscar back for all the crap he had given her. Slowly walking forward, Rumi forced Oscar to back up as she mimicked his sinister smile.

"Damn right." Rumi chuckled evilly. "Consider this your one and only warning. If you so much as touch a single hair on Izuku's head I will hunt you down and kill you myself. Honestly, I would probably be doing the world a favor. But I am not a cold-blooded murderer like you."

Frowning, Oscar gave Rumi an annoyed look.

"Oh calm your tits Miruko." Oscar said with slight annoyance. "Contrary to what you might think, Mido is one of the last people I would willingly hurt. I understand him better than you ever will, and when the time comes I will welcome him back to where he belongs with open arms."