Chapter 13: Crossing the Line

Rumi yawned as her alarm clock began buzzing. Sitting up in her bed she rubbed the sleep from her eyes as warm rays of sunlight filtered into her room. A week had passed since she had started training with Midoriya, yet she did not feel any stronger. Every day she went to bed exhausted and sore only to wake up and repeat it all over again. There had been a few times where she could have sworn she almost landed a hit on her liaison, but the green-haired man did not seem to ever tire even though Rumi always tried her hardest to best him.

Today was different though. Today was the day of the Hero-Liaison conference.

So with her training temporarily on hold, Rumi had been able to sleep in and not get up until the sun had risen.

Getting out of bed, the rabbit hero went about her usual morning routine and prepared for the long day ahead of her. After taking a quick shower to freshen up, she ate a light breakfast of toast and carrots before getting dressed.

It felt like it had been ages since she had last put on her hero outfit, when in reality it had only been around two weeks. It still fit perfectly, but when Rumi looked at herself in the mirror she could not help but feel like she was lying to everyone by wearing it. The cumulative effect of waking up every day to find she was still quirkless was taking its toll on the pro-hero. Normally she faced the day with positive enthusiasm, but now she could barely convince herself to get out of bed in the morning. If she did not have Midoriya pushing her to train she would likely just spend her days laying in bed and sleeping.

Shaking her head slightly to get rid of the depressed thoughts, Rumi went out into the main room and plopped down onto the couch in front of her massive flatscreen TV. Grabbing the remote and turning the television on, Rumi flipped through channels as she waited for Midoriya to show up. The programs she came upon were all different, but none of them managed to hold her attention. A morning news show talking about an overseas popstar making her debut, a popular hero gossip show, trashy reality TV shows, all of them were the equivalent of white noise to Rumi.

Saving her from a slow death by sheer boredom, Rumi's doorbell finally rang.

Jumping up from the couch and turning off the TV, Rumi bounced over to the front door but paused right as she was about to open it.

Why was she so happy to see Midoriya?

She had just noticed how whenever the handsome guy was involved she had much more motivation to do things, even if she did complain every once in a while. Before losing her quirk Rumi had no problem doing her daily menial tasks, but now it was a struggle to do even the most basic housekeeping chores around her apartment. However, when Midoriya was with her she almost felt like everything was back to normal.

Dismissing the confusing thoughts running through her head, Rumi opened her apartment door and forced herself to smile at Midoriya who was standing in the hallway.

"Heya Midoriya." Rumi said with a bit of forced enthusiasm. "I'm ready to go whenever you are."

Midoriya was dressed in his government standard black suit, but his normally unruly green hair had been slicked back into a much classier style.

To be honest, Rumi briefly considered taking a picture so she could admire her liaison's fresh hairstyle later.

"-ruko?"

Coming back to her senses, Rumi realized she had been staring blankly at Midoriya while he had been trying to talk to her.

"You okay?" The man asked in a slightly concerned tone as he looked at her curiously.

Fighting to keep the blush off her cheeks, Rumi mentally slapped herself and put on a fake smile.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She said. "Just was thinking about...um...stuff."