Chapter 37: Right and Wrong

Izuku slowly descended the overgrown steps embedded into the hillside, his mind oddly at peace with what had just occurred in the graveyard. It had been a couple of years since he had last visited his mom's grave, and he made a vow to visit at least once a year from now on. Standing in the small street, Izuku heard the light footsteps of his partner and lover quickly catch up to him.

"How are you feeling Izuku?" Rumi asked softly. "If you need some time to yourself just let me know."

Shaking his head slightly, Izuku began to walk back to his car. "I feel a little better." He said honestly. "But that is all thanks to you. I feel like I am finally starting to get my life on the right path with you by my side."

He really wanted to hold Rumi's hand right now, but they were still in public and it was best not to risk anything that might reveal their relationship. Walking down the street, Izuku saw a young couple pushing a baby stroller come around a corner and start to walk towards him and Rumi. The green-haired agent was about to make a teasing remark about babies to Rumi, but suddenly he noticed something that made his blood run cold.

Looking at the man happily talking to the woman pushing the stroller, any doubt from Izuku's mind was immediately erased.

The man was one of his childhood bullies.

"Izuku is everything okay?" Rumi asked with obvious concern, having clearly noticed her boyfriend freeze and stare at the young couple.

A million thoughts ran through Izuku's head as he tried to get his mouth to work. It was like his tongue had dried up and the best he could manage was a pathetic mumble. As the oblivious young parents slowly got closer, Izuku felt like he was about to throw up. Memories of being relentlessly bullied by other kids his age flashed in front of his eyes, and Izuku felt his adrenaline spike as his breathing got faster. Like how mere weeks after his mom had died the entire school was cracking dead mom jokes. Time seemed to slow down as the couple got within a few feet, and Izuku could not help but stare in terror at the young father as he got closer. The ingrained fear of those familiar faces came rushing back in full force, and Izuku could not stop the flood of instinctive responses that overwhelmed his brain.

But suddenly, the fear changed into something else.

Hatred.

His eyes narrowing, Izuku felt his body move on its own. As his hand slowly reached for the gun concealed underneath his suit jacket, Izuku coldly contemplated just how long he could make the man in front of him suffer until he died from his wounds.

The happy smile on the piece of human filth made Izuku even angrier.

How dare he smile like that after all he had done!

Feeling his hand wrap around the familiar texture of his pistol's grip, Izuku could only see red as he reached for the magazine of lethal hollow-point bullets concealed in one of his pockets.

It was like an evil Izuku had taken over, one that whispered insidious thoughts directly into Izuku's brain.

He could end the bastard's life right now and nobody would be the wiser.

Rumi would understand.

The wife could be threatened into staying silent, and the baby would be too young to remember anything. A simple falsified report put into the Ministry of Defense database would firmly cement the lies into history and nobody would be the wiser.

It was perfect.

As the young parents gawked at Rumi, Izuku felt any sort of compassion leave his heart as he discreetly loaded his pistol with the bullets that would end his old bully's story.

Life was not fair, and it was time to teach that lesson to someone who so rightfully deserved it.

Just as he was about to reveal his pistol and pull the trigger, Izuku glanced downwards at the baby in the stroller. Big brown eyes stared back at him, blissfully unaware of just what was about to happen.

Then the baby smiled at him.

Like a burning inferno being snuffed out by a tidal wave, Izuku came back to his senses.

Realizing what he was doing, Izuku felt like he had been punched in the gut as the innocent baby continued to smile at him.

What the fuck was he doing?

Quickly putting his pistol back in its concealed holster, Izuku felt a new emotion take hold.

Shame.

He had just promised to his dead mom that he would become someone she could be proud of. Mercilessly executing someone in the street was the exact opposite of that. Glancing over at Rumi who was busy exchanging pleasantries with the oblivious couple, Izuku felt like he was about to throw up. If he had followed through on that murderous impulse, it would have meant losing the best thing that had ever happened to him.

Was petty revenge worth the price of losing the person he loved most?

No, it was not.

Completely ashamed that he had let his hatred take control, Izuku forcefully prevented his eyes from forming tears. If he had taken that baby's father away, he would have been no better than the psychopaths Rumi swore to bring to justice. Then he would have gone back to being alone.

Alone with nothing to sustain him but hatred, rage, and pain.

As the couple turned onto a different street and disappeared from sight, Izuku leaned heavily against the concrete wall next to him.

Realizing that something was wrong, Rumi immediately rushed to Izuku's side and helped him to his feet. "Izuku! Are you okay?!"

Instead of saying anything, Izuku simply pulled Rumi into a tight hug.

Izuku could care less about being seen, he needed a physical reminder of what had changed his life for the better.

Obviously surprised, Rumi stuttered slightly, clearly confused as to why Izuku had decided to show such affection in public. However, she seemed to understand that Izuku had hugged her for a reason, and she quickly hugged him back as he buried his face in her neck.

Standing there on that quiet street, the two lovers silently held each other. The world around them forgotten as they physically expressed their love for each other.

After what felt like an hour, Izuku finally pulled away with a haunted look on his face.

"Sorry." The tall agent croaked weakly. "I just...I needed that."

Obviously confused, but determined to be supportive, Rumi gave Izuku a warm smile. "No problem Izuku. You don't need to say anything, sometimes we just need a good hug to keep us going."

Laughing weakly, Izuku nodded as he resumed walking back to his car.

"Thanks Rumi. For everything."