Chapter 27: The Dawn of Something Beautiful

Rumi woke from her slumber slowly, and for a second she was confused why there was someone in bed with her. As rays of sunlight filled the bedroom, she remembered what had happened the previous night and smiled happily. Opening her eyes, the pro-hero looked up at the man sleeping peacefully next to her.

Izuku's chest rose and fell in time with his breathing, his arms still wrapped around Rumi like a child holding their favorite teddy bear. His face was calm and undisturbed, and the stubble on his jaw gave him a handsome and roguish look that would not look out of place on the cover of a cheap romance novel.

If only there was a way for her to preserve this moment for future viewing.

Grinning cheekily, Rumi reached under Izuku's shirt and began softly running her hands over his torso. First she started up near the neck, tracing the collarbone and slowly working her way downwards. Next were the defined pectorals, which were then followed by Izuku's chiseled abs. Reaching the waist, Rumi slowly ran her hands over the v-shaped musculature that pointed teasingly to the area below Izuku's waistline.

Feeling Izuku's breathing change, Rumi watched as her partner slowly woke up and looked around blearily. Finally realizing that Rumi's hands were still greedily tracing his torso muscles, Izuku looked down at her with a confused look.

"Uhh...good morning?" He said in a slightly raspy morning voice that made Rumi's spine tingle.

"Good morning handsome." Rumi replied lovingly. "Don't mind me, just doing a physical examination."

Seemingly too drowsy to get flustered, Izuku simply let Rumi continue as he yawned.

"No nightmares..." He said in disbelief. "I actually feel...rested."

Smiling wider, Rumi pulled her hands out from under Izuku's shirt and nuzzled her face into his neck. "See? I told you it would work. Guess you will just have to keep sleeping with me."

Izuku was quiet for a few moments before speaking softly. "Umm...about last night..."

Already knowing what Izuku was thinking about, Rumi propped herself up so she could look at her partner. "I have a feeling I know what you are going to say, but go on, might as well clear the air."

Shyly trying to avoid meeting Rumi's gaze, Izuku fiddled with the edge of the blanket nervously as he spoke. "I don't know if...if this is the right choice. I mean, what would the press say if they found out? Your reputation would get torn to shreds if people found out that you were romantically involved with a nobody like me. Not to mention the fact that I am quirkless. We also work together, and I don't want to damage your professional reputation..."

Sighing in disappointment, Rumi gently reached over and held Izuku's hand. "So is that a no?"

His cheeks starting to redden, Izuku awkwardly continued to stare at the blanket. "It's not a question of yes or no. I just don't want you to make a hasty decision that you might regret later."

Frowning slightly, Rumi moved so that she could stare directly into Izuku's emerald eyes. "Izuku, this was not a spur of the moment decision. I love you, and that is a fact. Screw what other people think, I could care less what the world thinks of me or you."

Reaching out to gently stroke Izuku's jaw, Rumi gave him the most earnest look as she desperately tried to get her partner to answer the question that was burning inside her.

"Just give me a straight answer." She pleaded. "I just want to know whether I should give up on you or not. If you don't feel any connection then just tell me. We can pretend like this never happened and go back to arguing with each other over stupid crap."