Chapter 41: What Family Means

"I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people who do"

- Angus Delaney, Night in the Woods

-------------------------------------------------------

As Izuku pulled his car to a stop, he looked at the scene in front of him and tried to figure out what was going on.

Firstly, the road had been blocked off, but not by police. Armed to the teeth and wearing full tactical body armor, Oscar's retinue of brainwashed agents seemed to have grown. Where there originally had only been five or six, there were now more than a dozen agents under Oscar's direct command. Behind the yellow crime scene tape, Izuku could see a tall, rotund, and clearly enraged pro-hero being held back by his nervous liaison while several interns tried to calm him down. A two story building seemed to be the center of activity, and Izuku could see blast marks and bullet holes in the walls.

In front of the building, Oscar stood directly in front of the main entrance as people in biohazard suits ferried different objects out of the building. In the middle of the street, a Ministry of Defense cargo helicopter sat with its cargo ramp open to receive personnel and items from the crime scene. Looking closer, Izuku felt an uneasy sensation settle in his stomach as he noticed there were no identifying markings of any kind on the pitch black aircraft. Oscar himself was wearing black body armor, and Izuku could see a splatter of blood on the American's clothes that clearly was not his own.

Turning to look at Rumi sitting next to him, and Uraraka in the back, Izuku spoke in a deadly serious voice. "Listen, whatever you do, do not engage with Oscar. He may be a psychopath, but he still works for the Ministry of Defense. If anything, judging from the resources here, he has more tools at his disposal than ever before."

Rumi grumbled under her breath but nodded, while Uraraka worriedly looked around at the blocked off street. Getting out of his sedan, Izuku walked towards the crime scene with a blank expression on his face. Just as he was about to cross the perimeter of the crime scene, one of Oscar's agents stepped in front of Izuku with his hand on his combat shotgun.

"This area is off limits." The balaclava-wearing agent stated in a monotone voice.

Frowning, Izuku briefly considered pushing past the guard. However, he was not one to tempt fate.

"I am agent Midoriya. Senior field agent." Izuku explained evenly as Rumi and Uraraka came to a stop behind him. "I have business with agent Smith."

"This area is off limits." The armed agent repeated robotically. "Any attempt by unauthorized personnel to enter the area will be met with force."

Izuku was about to get his ID out and pull rank on the guard, when a gratingly cheerful voice called out.

"Heya Mido!" Oscar said loudly. "You bring any food?" The cannibal then grinned toothily, apparently enjoying the twisted inside joke only Izuku would understand. "I am starving. Been a busy day." Seeming to finally notice that the agent blocking Izuku was not moving, Oscar called out to him. "Alpha Four! Let them pass."

Like an obedient guard dog being told to heel, the masked agent immediately stepped back. Deciding to not push his luck, Izuku ducked under the yellow crime scene tape and made his way over to the cannibalistic American. Finally getting closer, Izuku ignored Oscar and walked over to the enraged pro-hero shouting threats.

"He can't do that!" The rotund hero yelled angrily. "How dare he slander Iori's name! Ministry or not, I will teach that bastard a thing or two about respect!"

"Fat Gum please stop!" Said the lanky male liaison worriedly. "This is not the time or place! I called for backup so please stop!"

Looking at the three teens next to the bellowing pro-hero, Izuku recognized Kirishima, but not the other two. One of them appeared to have metal skin, while the other wore some kind of hero outfit with a hooded cloak.