Chapter 54: The Lion's Den

Rumi watched in horror as the clip of Zulu team beating the absolute shit out of Gunhead played once more on her phone screen. The video taken by one of the bystanders had spread like wildfire, causing many to begin to question whether the Ministry of Defense had the best interests of the public in mind. News outlets were divided amongst themselves, some doubling down on their supportive government views while others had begun to break away from the propaganda to run more critical newspieces. A Ministry of Defense spokesperson had made a generic statement saying that the agents in the video had been reprimanded and placed on paid leave, but Rumi was not buying any of that bullshit.

It seemed that Rumi's worst fears had come true, Izuku had gone off the deep end.

It was easy for Rumi to recognize Izuku's movements and fighting style, and the unease in her gut made her feel queasy as she contemplated just what exactly she might have to do if she ran into Izuku by chance.

After spending a few minutes weighing her options, Rumi knew what she had to do.

Calling Hawks' number, Rumi anxiously picked at her nails as the phone rang for what seemed like hours.

Finally, Hawks answered.

"Hey Miruko." The winged hero said with a slight yawn. "Why are you calling me?"

Taking a deep breath, Rumi steeled herself and replied. "I assume you have seen the clip of Zulu team beating the shit out of Gunhead?"

"Yup." Hawks grunted. "This Oscar guy is a real piece of work. So is his partner."

Rumi paused before answering. "That was Izuku..."

Hawks was silent for a few moments. "Are you sure?"

Rumi nodded. "I am."

"Well shit." Hawks sighed wearily. "This complicates things. If Midoriya is on Oscar's side there is a real chance my mission could go down in flames."

"I want in." Rumi interjected. "Let me handle Izuku. You and the others focus on capturing Oscar. I don't trust any of you when it comes to Izuku, for all I know you will just kill him and tell me it was unavoidable."

There was a slight tinge of hurt in Hawks' voice as he replied quietly. "You really think I would kill Midoriya?"

"Yup." Rumi said bluntly. "Don't bullshit me Hawks. Everyone knows what you are capable of after the big PLF raid. Like I said, I don't care what you do with Oscar. All I want is Izuku. I need to talk to him face-to-face and make him see that I still care about him. Worst case scenario, I knock him out and hide him somewhere so I can talk some sense into him."

Hawks sighed in defeat. "Fine. I can agree to that. You better get your affairs in order, because we are making our move tomorrow night."

"Just tell me when and where." Rumi said confidently.

As the two pro-heroes discussed the plan, rain continued to fall outside as dark clouds ominously blocked out the sun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Izuku walked down an empty street. The colors around him were dull shades of gray and black, and there was an ominous chill in the air. Turning a corner, Izuku was shocked to see himself in front of his childhood home.

Except now the house was boarded up and falling apart.

Hesitantly walking forward, Izuku realized his standard issue military pistol was already in his hands. Approaching the front door, Izuku warily pushed the wooden door open. The hinges creaked sinisterly as the smell of dust and mold invaded his nose while his hands gripped his gun tightly. Slowly entering the house, Izuku felt himself being drawn upstairs towards his old room. Carefully climbing the stairs, Izuku felt like something was watching him, and every so often dark shadows moved around in his peripheral vision. After what felt like an eternity, Izuku finally reached the second floor. The hallway stretched out in front of him like a foreboding tunnel, and the smell of dust and decay was only getting stronger.