Chapter 29: The Cost of Victory

Rumi slowly woke up from her deep sleep and frowned as she opened her eyes. She was wearing her usual sleeping outfit and was slightly confused by how dark it was outside.

Why the hell was her stupidly sexy boyfriend not in bed with her?

Grumbling under her breath because of the lack of skin-to-skin contact , Rumi sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Looking around, she could see that Izuku's work clothes were still in his bag, so he obviously had not left yet.

But before Rumi could begin to think up reasons for why Izuku would be up so early, the sound of melodic music reached her ears.

Getting out of bed, Rumi padded over to the door and out into the hallway. Making her way to the kitchen, she was greeted by the sight of a clothed Izuku making breakfast on the stove while he moved around in time with the beat. Suddenly Izuku began to sing along to the music, and Rumi was dumbfounded by how perfectly he hit every note.

Was there anything that the man could not do?!

With a happy smile on her face, Rumi leaned against the wall and simply watched Izuku dance around while singing along like a pro. His baritone voice complemented the music while also showing enough vocal skill to hit the high notes without his voice cracking.

It was nice to see a carefree side of the green-haired man. Of course it only made Rumi fall deeper in love with him, but that she did not mind in the slightest.

With the enticing smell of bacon in the air, the song finally came to an end and Izuku turned around with the frying pan in hand. Flinching slightly when he finally realized he had an audience, Izuku quickly turned off the music with a slight blush on his face.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" He said apologetically.

Shaking her head, Rumi walked over and watched as Izuku began fixing her a plate made up of an omelette, toast, bacon, and fresh carrot slices.

"No, I woke up because I did not have my studly boyfriend to cuddle." She said lightly. "By the way you have an amazing voice. I swear, you keep surprising me with what you can do. Have you always been able to sing like that?"

Izuku shrugged shyly. "Thanks, it is a leftover of my spec-ops days. The group I was part of had a few karaoke lovers, and it became routine to have a karaoke competition to see who would buy the first round of drinks. Needless to say, I hate losing and might have spent some of my free time learning how to sing."

Rumi could not help but giggle at the mental image of a bunch of combat-hardened soldiers singing loudly in a bar. "Well it is clear you never lost with a voice like that. If you ever decide to leave your current job you could easily make a start as a musician."

Handing Rumi her plate of delicious looking food, Izuku let a small smile show on his face as he made a plate for himself.

"I am not that good." He said humbly. "It is just one of the many useless skills I learned over the years."

Walking over to the lone couch, Rumi waited for Izuku to join her before digging into her food. "Hey you don't see me complaining. If anything you could get out of trouble by serenading me like they do in those cheesy romance movies."

Taking a bite of his toast, Izuku chuckled softly. "I will keep that in mind."

The two continued to chat and eat their breakfast as the sun peeked out from over the horizon. Laughing along with Izuku over a funny story, Rumi could only think of one thing.

"I wish this could last forever."

After finishing their breakfast, Rumi and Izuku got ready for work. It seemed it was just going to be another day of patrolling the city and dealing with any crimes they came across.