Chapter 58: From Zero to Hero

Izuku groaned in annoyance and pain as he slowly woke up. Blearily opening his eyes, the green-haired man was greeted with the sight of a generic hospital room full of flowers and get-well-soon cards. He was dressed in nothing but a hospital gown, and currently lay on a soft hospital bed as several nearby medical machines beeped softly in time with his heartbeat. A single window let in soft morning sunlight, and the air smelled slightly of disinfectant and cleaning supplies. Hearing a soft snore, Izuku turned to see Rumi sitting in a metal folding chair next to his hospital bed, her head lowered and her eyes closed as she slept. She was dressed in casual clothes, consisting of a pair of blue jeans, plain white t-shirt, and trendy black sports jacket.

Chuckling softly, Izuku spoke loudly enough for Rumi to hear him.

"Well would you look at that, Miruko sleeping on the job." He said teasingly.

Immediately, Rumi's eyes flew open with happy tears already forming in them. Launching herself at Izuku to embrace him in a tight hug, Rumi clung to him like he might disappear if she let go.

"Oh thank god!" The rabbit hero exclaimed loudly. "Izuku you woke up! I was so..." Rumi choked up as tears began to roll down her cheeks. "...so scared! You have no idea how worried I was! The doctors were talking about you never waking up and...and..." Rumi could not finish her sentence as her emotions overwhelmed her and she sobbed happily. "I love y-you so m-much!"

A gentle smile on his face, Izuku hugged his emotional girlfriend back and kissed the top of her head. "I would never leave you behind Rumi. Through hell or high water, I will always come back to you."

"You don't understand Izuku..." Rumi said softly as she clung to him. "It's been almost two weeks since you took down Fujikawa. The doctor's were talking about you being in a...in a permanent coma and that you were never going to wake up."

His eyebrows raising in surprise, Izuku shrugged and stroked Rumi's long silver hair. "Well I am back either way. Like I said, I will always come back to you."

The two lovers simply held each other, no words needing to be spoken as the two silently expressed their adoration for each other.

Eventually, Rumi stopped crying and she stopped pressing her head against her soulmate's chest long enough to look up at him with her brilliant red eyes.

"Izuku, you make me the happiest girl in the world, you know that?" She said softly.

Izuku chuckled and lightly stroked Rumi's cheek with his hand. "And you make me the happiest man on the planet."

Looking around, Izuku was surprised at the sheer amount of cards and flowers in the room. One whole wall was taken up by a long table absolutely overflowing with fruit baskets, flowers of all kinds, cards both store bought and handwritten, and delicious snacks and food as well.

"Umm...what's that all about?" Izuku asked with slight confusion as he gestured to the pile of cards and gifts.

Grinning cheekily, Rumi shrugged as she buried her face once more into Izuku's chest. "Oh y'know, being a national hero means you have a lot of fans now."

Spluttering in shock, Izuku could not help but stare at the stuffed table incredulously. "What?! What d-do you m-mean national h-hero?!"

Rumi giggled at her boyfriend's reaction. "Well considering your awesome showdown with Fujikawa was recorded in high-definition from multiple angles. I would say it is not exactly that strange for everyone to want to send the hero of the day their well-wishes."

Trying to remember what exactly had happened on the rooftop, Izuku nodded slightly as he put things together. "Well...now that you mention it I do remember there being a bunch of news helicopters around. Wait a second...doesn't that also mean..."